Linux True Image / Image size huge!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kobi, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobi

kobi Registered Member

Hello:

I did search through before posting, but could not find a similar topic discussed.

I use TI80 Build 962 for Linux Servers. I just replaced our LAMP box with a new Dell Poweredge server. It's configured with a single 73GB SCSI drive running CENTOS EL4. The problem is that when I try to image this box (even though it is using less than 4% of the drive space) the image is over 25GB! Is this something that is do with my partioning scheme. 100MB boot(hda1), 40Gb root (hda2).

I even tried booting from floppy and imaging to external USB drive.... same results.

Any comments ... help... suggections welcomed

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kobi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Linux Server Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (989) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create the bootable rescue media with the latest build, boot your server from it, create an image and see whether the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists, please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. Cintra

Cintra Registered Member

Hei
    I backup a number of Linux partitions using True Image 9 (not the Linux server version), most of the partitions use Reiserfs but one of them uses the JFS filesystem - this one is treated specially by TI, and is backed up in full regardless of the used space.

Perhaps you have something similar..?

Mvh

4. kobi

kobi Registered Member

Re: Linux True Image / Image size huge! : Solved!

I just saw a recent article on Linux LVM (logical volume manager) and realized that this was my issue. The original box was Redhat EL 3 and by default did _not_ create a LVM partition. Redhat EL4 does!

TI for Linux sees this a completely full paritition and backs it up accordingly. I rebuilt the box manually creating the paritioning scheme, and BAM! My TI imae size is less than 1GB. Hooray!

5. multisync22

multisync22 Registered Member

Re: Linux True Image / Image size huge! : Solved!

Strange... Some other products have LVM support, but do not have this drawback...
    For example, the Linbox rescue server ( http://lrs.linbox.org ), only backups used sectors, even if the partition is LVM....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.