Linux software raid restore process ???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tranceash, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tranceash

tranceash Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how do I backup a linux system on raid 1 (software raid) and restore it to a same hardware with 2 disks. During restore it does not show me the raid 1 devices md0 md1. Is there a guide for this o_O

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tranceash,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Please notice that Linux md devices are a software RAID implementation and therefore do not exist on bare metal hardware. To restore an image of md device as md device as well, please rebuild RAID manually (i.e. by booting from your distribution CD first) and then restore your data from the image archive.

If Acronis Bootable Rescue Media doesn't detect your md device, please follow the instructions in this post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. tranceash

tranceash Registered Member

Can you elaborate "please rebuild RAID manually (i.e. by booting from your distribution CD first) and then restore your data from the image archive."

I have re-created the md device using the distribution (fedora core 3 cd) then how do I restore the data if I then boot the acronis media cd it will not see the raid device as it is a software raid and is activated by the kernel.
    Why does acronis not have the mdadm binary on the rescue cd so that we can go to console mode and then create the md devices and then call the restore through the command.

The backup archive should store the software raid configuration and re-create it on the fly when restoring the data like mondo rescue does. This means that software raid is not completly supported with acronis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.