Linux restore won't boot

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by seanbarman, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanbarman

seanbarman Guest

I have successfully created images of my partitions
    one for windows xp and 3 partitions for linux (mandrake 10.1)
    the images restore successfuly but linux image will not boot it just freezes
    i have tried to rescue from linux cd re install bootloader but no success as it cant remount partitions,i have viewed partitions and they look ok.I am bit annoyed as i have to reinstall system again now as your product is no use to me
    ,it cleary says it restores ext 3 partitions,
    i would be grateful for any help
    thanks

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Hi Sean - I am no expert on Linux but I seem to remember that some distributions allows you to create a Linux boot diskette that will ask which HD-partition to boot.

Do you have such a diskette (or can you make one)?

3. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

What is the last thing on the screen when it "Freezes" ?

In my experience, LILO is very picky and needs to be re-installed after a partition restore. GRUB is much more forgiving. What boot loader do you use?

4. seanbarman

seanbarman Guest

I use lilo ,i have tried reinstalling bootloader via linux rescue disc ,i also tried remounting partitions but with no luck.I can't see the problem my self as
    the software is supposed to make an exact image of the partitions,it works
    with windows so why not linux,also free utilities such as partimage can do this?
    but lack the easy gui interface.The thing is the partitions are restored to exact
    place so why would lilo have a problem?and os selector does not recognise them.I am not sure of error now as i have had to re install os(mandrake 10.1)
    I also had an image of linspire wich also failed to boot.I dont remenber either os
    offering a boot disk option as i think you can rescue via cd.I thought if fstab settings had not changed there would be no problem?

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I don't know how that LILO boot loader works, but if the LILO installer embeds specific sector addresses in the boot code, then perhaps the restored image uses different sector addresseso_O

6. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

MiniMax:
    I was thinking something along those lines, but since I've switched to Grub, I've never bothered loooking any further into it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.