Linux Questions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Modred, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Modred

Modred Registered Member

I use TI-8 to image my computer's primary partition which contains Linux. These images are stored on an external hard disk. This works fine, but I had a few questions:

1) Is there a way to restore (extract) an individual file from the image?

2) This is a home computer that is not used for business purposes. Does Acronis have a version of TrueImage for HOME linux use?

3) Does TI-9 have any features that would justify an upgrade for a HOME linux user?

Thanks,

Modred

2. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

1. Just mount the image and select the file you want to restore and restore it.
    2. While you could use the boot CD to image linux I usually prefer to use GNU tar to backup my gentoo linux system. There is a great script that backs up the entire system located in the gentoo forums under Documentation Tips and Tricks, just search for it. I think it was called a stage4 backup or something like that. That script allows custom file exclusion which really comes in handy for linux. You would have to modify the script slightly to work on another distribution though.
    3. No, IMHO

3. Modred

Modred Registered Member

simusphere,

Thanks for the reply. When I try to mount an image of a linux partition from within Windows, TrueImage reports that the image is corrupted. I assume that this is because it is an image of a linux partition, because I am able to verify and restore the image. I did try to mount the image after booting to the restore disk, but I could not find a menu option to do this.

I'll give tar a try.

Thanks again,

Modred

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Modred,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that simusphere is not right in the post 2 (Just mount the image and select the file you want to restore and restore it). If the image contains a partition with a Linux file system, Windows will not be able to view it as the Windows OS does not support the Linux file systems. As a result, Linux partitions cannot be mounted as virtual drives on a Windows-based PC.

Please note that when using Acronis True Image when booting from bootable CD you cannot mount an image as a virtual drive since this option only for Windows.

No, with Acronis True Image 8.0 you can restore individual files/folders form the image archive of the Linux partition. Version 8.0 of Avronis True Image allows you to restore individual files/folders only if you plug the image archive as a virtual drive. And this can be done only to the partitions which filesystems supported by Windows operating system (FAT16/32, NTFS)

Please note that the only version of Acronis True Image that can be installed and perform real-time backup under Linux system is Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Linux. After a system crash, Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Linux allows you to perform a full system restore, a bare-metal restore or just a restore of individual files and folders in minutes.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 Home supports the following Linux file systems: Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS, Reiser4, and Linux Swap. And also version 9.0 has a new file-based backup option which enables you to backup and restore individual files and folders. So with Acronis True Image 9.0 Home you will be able to restore individual files/folders note only from the backup archives created with version 9.0 but also from the backups created with the previous versions of the software. The full list of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home features is available on our web site.

Please visit Acronis on-line store to purchase the upgrage at a discounted rate.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

Sorry modred for misleading you on the question about mounting a linux image. I had tar on my brain at the time. While acronis 9 home does a good job backing up you system on a file based way I still like the control I get from a well scripted tar script. Plus it's a free upgrade. As far as windows goes, Acronis gets my vote hands down or thumbs up depending on how you look at it.

6. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

I've just done some Searching here and am somewhat bewildered to find that this doesn't work (mounting Linux images). I thought I had done this successfully in the past (I use TI 7.0b638 ) i.e. mount a TI image of a Linux backup in Windows, and then use a Windows utility called Explore2fs to look at files. But today I backed-up an ext3 system, and I get red X's when I look to mount the image file.

I tried mounting an older ext2 system and while I don't see the red X's on the partitions, it too fails to complete a successful mount. Interestingly, it does appear that WHILE ACRONIS IS ATTEMPTING TO MOUNT THE LINUX PARTITION, I CAN "SEE" THE FILES USING EXPLORE2FS JUST FINE! But then I get the Acronis error, "Failed to mount" and explore2fs stops working.

I'm surprised I guess that no version of TI has been made to "provide access" to a Linux partition in a .tib file. Would seem to be a nice feature to be able to browse files in a .tib backup, vs. recovering the files which is I guess what the latest version does.

In any case my recollection of "successfully mounting Linux parts in the past" must be faulty--more likely I installed a Linux hard disk to my XP machine and then browsed it with Explore2fs.

Just weighing-in here for the benefit of others who may Search on this puzzle.

I must add, cuz I don't visit here often, that TI is just a wonderful tool for backup and recovery, but also for testing new software setups and then restoring the old. Unfortunately for Acronis I have enjoyed TI 7.0 so much that I've not had a need/interest to upgrade. Maybe if they add "Mount Linux partitions in Windows" then I will finally pop for an upgrade! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.