Linux OS?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I was wondering on a secondary OS, I want to try linux, but, dont want to waste up my HDD space, and sitll want to keep windows, (I'm just curious as to learn another OS, besides Windows) So I found this: http://www.dekoningonline.nl/ "Gray cat linux" claims to run with Windows still installed, and without partitioning, anyone else have any ideas? ... on another OS that doesnt require a partition, and is small?

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I would first try Knoppix, which is entirely contained on cd, and basically allows you to "float" the Linux OS in RAM. When you shut down, everything gets flushed and you can reboot Windows normally.

It's a great way to get a "taste of Linux" without actually installing the OS.

A really great online store for Linux and *BSD is

www.linuxandbsd.com

This is a place that you can get CDR and DVD copies of distros for a very low cost, and will save you the time of having to download and burn iso's, etc. I have ordered from Doyle, and can vouch for the site's trustworthiness and speed. A set of FreeBSD disks ran me about 15.00, which included shipping.

Obviously a lot of this software is available also from their respective websites, so visit them also if you want the manuals, etc., but be prepared to pay more accordingly.

3. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Hmm, I also found this: http://dragonlinux.sourceforge.net/ DargonLinux, its only like 7MB's and can run with Win98 still installed, anyone tried it?

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I seond KNOPPIX as you do not have to setup a partition for it to install any distro since as mentioned everything runs from cd.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://www.winlinux.net/2003/

You could also try winlinux it installs in a folder in your program files. If you don't like it or get tired of it just delete the folder and it is gone. It didn't seem to bother my win Me. at all. It really worked pretty well. You can check it out at the link above. Not comp with 2000, nt, xp
    :)surf safe :)

http://www.phatlinux.com/
    you might look at phat linux also. I don't believe that it is as well supported though. will work on xp.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I'm still leaning towards DragonLinux, 1) Because its free, and 2) It says its easy to install and uninstall

7. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Something else Knoppix is useful for - it can read NTFS partitions, but ignores security settings. So, if you can boot from CDROM you can simply walk up to the machine, put your Knoppix CD in and in a couple minutes youll have full access to the NTFS partition, even if you dont have an account on that system. It's saved me a couple of times already :)

PS. Dragonlinux isnt 7mb, it's 47mb ... :) (for the light version, and about 250+mb for the full version)

8. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Well, I didnt really want to pay for a CD, and due to lack of having a CD-Burner/writer, :doubt: I might try te Light version of DragonLinux ... but, I dont know :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.