Linux on and Old PC

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by joao_proscrito, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joao_proscrito

joao_proscrito Registered Member

Hi! I'm sick of Mr. Bill OS, and it's bugs, crashes, patches, registry errors, malvware, viruses, etc. I decided to try linux and guess what? I Love It!!

My question is what distro do you recommend for a AMD 450, with 192 RAM and 5 gigs HD. This is my old pc, and I want to install Linux in the Hard-Drive, but I only been capable of running puppy linux on a CD. Can some help me installing in the Hard-Drive, or do you recommend another distro?

Thanks guys!

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Vector Linux (based on slackware) is nice and light with a good GUI if you don't like command line stuff.

otherwise, you could try Xubuntu, but that might be too heavy.

Of course, I always recommend Arch Linux, it is very fast, light, and minimal. I use it on a pc with 256 MB ram, 1.6 GHz processor, and it flies (boots up under 25 seconds). However, it definately is a bit more difficult and is command line orientated, but an excellent way to learn linux.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

3. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Hi Joao.

Here are some more small linux you may want to try out on a live cd .

DSL or Damn Small Linux Click Here

Feather Linux Feather Linux

Xubuntu Xubuntu

I'm a Complete noob in linux. I suggest you download the live cd's. Then make up your mind which you like best. There are probably more lite linux out there. These are the ones I can remember.

I'm currently running a dual boot with windows me, and Xubuntu . I can't answer your other questions. I'm just don't have the knowledge yet. I'm also running only 192 mb of ramm. Xubuntu uses 80- 127mb while running. Your computer should be able to run any of these. Just download the live cd's and givem a try.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

A bit OT, but add please what are, in your opinion, the best overall Linux distros, that carry the most functionality (programs, hardware "support" , security...), that is, without hardware constraint.
    TIA:thumb:

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Is Kubuntu- Ubuntu upgraded, and Xubuntu- Ubuntu lightweight?

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

-Most functionality and hardware support: the ones from big companies (SUSE, Mandriva, Red Hat, etc). Add Ubuntu. There are distros tweaked for every imaginable need: multimedia playback and/or creation, routing, performance, special hardware, etc.
    -Security: How you setup them ;)
    Ubuntu = GNOME
    Kubuntu = KDE
    Xubuntu = XFCE
    XFCE is the lightest GUI of the three.

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

PCLinuxOS has great hardware recognition and multimedia support, and the live CD / installer comes with loads of programs. A new release is imminent.

Linux Mint is also good for hardware recognition and multimedia. Less software on the live CD / installer, but as it's based on Ubuntu the repositories are vast.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i like the mandriva one live cd.
    it works great for testing out linux.
    koppix linux is great for trying out linux as well.
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.