Linux Mint Debian Edition - loving it!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay after struggling to install and get LMDE working and recognizing my hardware I have finally succeeded. LMDE is amazingly fast and more responsive than Ubuntu. I have SSD and for some reason I didn't see much difference between HDD and SSD on Ubuntu. The only difference I have seen in Ubuntu was much faster boot time and application lunch time. On the other hand LMDE, everything seems faster.

2. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

I second this :)
    I recently tried Ubuntu Gnome, really like the pure Gnome desktop but was surprised by how slow it felt compared to LMDE, made Ubuntu feel sluggish :eek:
    Every once in a while I throw in with another distro but always go back to LMDE. It's everything and more I want from my OS.

3. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I made the same experience. Together with Crunchbang LMDE is the fastest distro I checked out. Way faster than Ubuntu, especially on older systems. I installed LMDE this summer on 2 older systems (1 GB RAM) one on dual boot with Vista. Comparing LMDE with Vista is like comparing a Porsche with a handcar.

I haven't checked out lightweight Linux distributions like Puppy Linux but I guess I don't have to. LMDE is perfectly fine.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Hey, just a couple questions for you guys:

1. How does LMDE compare to XFCE speed-wise?

2. Will Apparmor work on mint Debian LMDE?

5. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I havent tried debian Xfce so I cant comment on it. But Ubuntu Xfce was slower than LMDE. But to makw a fair comparison you need to compare debian to debian. Still I feel like LMDE is blazing fast on my i5 6gb ram ssd laptop. Of course on slower computers you may not get the same experiance.

6. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

To me the difference in speed is most noticeable when running Cinammon on Ubuntu, LMDE is just snappier.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

I must admit that I haven't tested LMDE lately. But I remember that there were a couple of update issues particularly with the update packs. And if you look into the related sub-forums it seems that many users have problems.

Thus, it seems that a set-and-forget approach does not really apply to LMDE. And not to other rolling distros either. It's probably a price which you have to pay if you chose such a distro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.