Linux Mint-Advanced install option

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by wat0114, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi, can someone please explain this "Advanced" option? Does it mean Grub can be placed where I want it and is there a possible advantage to this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi wat0114,

hd0 refers to an IDE Drive
    ../sda = if you want to install Grub to the MBR of the 1st HD
    ../sda1 = if you want to install Grub to a partition boot sector. In this case
    the 1st partition of the 1st HD
    ../sda6 = would be 1st HD 6th partition. (Within an extended partition ?)
    Hopefully someone with Vbox experience will pop along for a nice
    explanation. :D

Regards.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks Ocky!

Yeah, that could be interesting :)

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Partitions 1-4 primary, one can be extended.
    Partitions 5 up, logical.

Grub can be installed to the root of any device, be it physical disk or partition, hence you can place it anywhere you want. Of course, if you want to be able to boot directly from bios, you need some kind of bootloader in the root of the disk itself.

So you can have, for that matter, dos bootloader or something in there, pointing to grub installed somewhere else. If you're dual booting, this makes the difference. If it's a single boot, this is meaningless.

P.S. Nothing to do with BV by the way ...

Mrk

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Sometimes I arrange my system with a 100 MB primary partition that is mounted as /boot. And then I install Grub in the boot record of that partition as opposed to MBR.
    The advantage is that you avoid that Grub is overwritten when you reinstall MS Windows, which always recreates the MBR and activates the primary Windows system partition.
    With a simple command you make the /boot partition active and then linux is bootable again.

This approach also permits other software to overwrite the MBR, for example another boot manager, or some Windows maintenance software that needs to boot before Windows.

I don't think that installing Grub in a record of a logical partition will work.

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thanks to all for the help! I guess in the VBox install I won't worry about it. I'd always gone with the default location in the past when I installed Linux dual-boot with Windows, so Grub would take over from the Windows bootloader. I realize things are a little more complicated with Vista/Win 7, but I kind of get the concept. Maybe next time I will try something different. At least if I mess up my iimage restore recivery disk can bale me out ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.