Linux Mint 19 Tara - Tara Cognita

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ta-ra-rasputin, lover of the Linux thing, there was a long, thorough review of Linux Mint 19 Tara Cinnamon edition, tested in a multi-boot setup with Windows and Linux on a laptop with UEFI, GPT and Intel graphics, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, including look & feel, fonts, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, and printing, multimedia playback - HD video and MP3, smartphone support - Android, iPhone (iOS) and Windows Phone, partitioning, package management, updates, system snapshots, applications, hardware compatibility, stability, suspend & resume, performance, responsiveness, resource utilization, customization, system settings, various problems and regressions, other observations, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-mint-tara.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

Loving the automatic updates! That feature alone makes this my new favorite distro.

3. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Thanks for the review!
    I'm using the XFCE edition of Tara.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks for the review.

Does it come with snap packages pre-installed like the buntu flavours?

5. Beyonder

It doesn't. You have to install snapd yourself :(

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Good, I dislike the sandbox-type approach, snaps or flats or whatever.

7. Beyonder

Really? Why is that? It makes installing and updating programs a breeze.

8. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I find the repository to be an integral part of what a Linux distro should be, an umbilical cord. Snaps introduce an alien element, disharmony.

9. cloggy49

cloggy49 Registered Member

Good review! Looking forward to your fix to improve the fonts rendering. I like Linux Mint but the fonts rendering is not the best part of it.

10. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Every time i test Linux Mint and use the update install features it brakes :)

11. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Maybe just you? I never have any problems with it...

12. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Maybe it s just me lol.It may be .I was always a fan of KDE and maybe that was the issue with it.

Nevertheless , Linux Mint is quite overhyped in my view , bugged .Some people may try it, consider it ugly or bad and thinking it s the only user firendly Linux available to give up entirelly in testing something else in the Linux world.

Linux wise i ve used OpenSuse 12.xx ,13.xx and newer and they always were the best amongst Mandriva ,Ubuntu ,Mint or SimplyMepis (some of this are already eol) .
    The only annoying thing is the lack of real support for PC gaming ,at least with my AMD cards .It worked only once in 12.3 i think , i ve played some Team Fortress and CS under Steam some years ago with no sound.
    Untill OpenSuse 13.1 , i could use an AMD AM1 machine as a router/firewall and multimedia box in same time.
    Autoupdates killed often Ubuntu and Linux Mint installs ,OpenSuse was the most robust Linux i ve ever used .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.