linux machine running vm windows for testing malware

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cgeek, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

I'm going to be taking some IT classes in the fall and would like to get a head start on learning how to identify and remove malware. I read an article on Raymond's blog about crypters that are circumventing all virtualization programs. So it got me thinking. Is it safer running a windows vm within linux for malware testing and removal?

Also is it possible for a piece of malware to jump a partition? I'm planning on running on a dual boot system. Linux for testing and Windows for gaming etc....
    Just wanna be safe! ;)

TIA
    cgeek

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

When you see references such as "anti-Sandboxie," that doesn't refer to the circumvention of Sandboxie, but rather the detection of Sandboxie, which would then give malware running within Sandboxie the opportunity to change its behavior - such as promptly terminating itself.

As for safety, you can run your virtualization program under a limited Windows user account. For additional peace of mind, you could use a program such as Returnil. As you mentioned, using Linux as the host operating system is another possibility.

It is possible for malware to escape a virtual machine due to vulnerabilities in the virtual machine software itself, as well as using network-based attacks if your virtual machines are networked. It's best to keep your virtual machine software reasonably up to date.

Further reading:
    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com.au/articles/35441-Attacks-on-virtual-machines-get-real
    http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/expert/KnowledgebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid14_gci1247329,00.html (older article)

3. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Thank you very much for the info! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.