Linux Lite Is Heavy on Features and Usability

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lotuseclat79, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I've been running it for ~ a month on our 10 yr old P4. Awesome distro :thumb: :)

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I wish it was given more love here.
    The best linux desktop atm imo :thumb:

4. catfish12

catfish12 Registered Member

Linux lite just a great distro i made the jump from windows

this just made changing to linux so easy all my wifi adaptors alfawifi work out the box plug and play and open vpn service works great :D AT last a linux distro with a task bar at the bottom and right click haa happy days:D

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Linux mint has had all those features for years.

Edit: This is a very nice distro though.

6. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Linux lite has a major login issue. Atleast the 64bit version I test it. It does not remember or something the password that enter at install and always gives failed orwrong password message. I tried it twice re-installing with different login password and the same. Linux mint is much much better then this.

7. wat0114

You can report bugs here.

8. taleblou

Found what the issue was. It seems linux lite during install somehow activates or used capital letters for password?? SO when I was trying to access terminal or install updates, etc. I types my password in small letter and it was rejected. When I activated caps lock and types, all went ok and was accepted. This is strange. Still I feel mint is far better and superior to lite.

9. wat0114

Good to see you got it resolved. I've never encountered that issue though. Weird one o_O One problem I've had on installation to two different hardware is that the Home folder encryption option wouldn't work. The installation just more or less froze. I could, however, encrypt afterwards.

I've actually recently replaced my mint xfce installation on the more powerful (yet old @ 2006) hardware with lite, and it's running great, no issues at all. Time to change my signature :D

10. taleblou

Yeah and thats on a laptop. Also I love linux destros, specially mint, but it seems all linuxes have issue with flash and video playing. Must be because adobe does not or no-longer support linux flash updates. I saw the same issues with both mint and lite and must be the same with other destros too. Then online viewing of videos on alot of sites when you move your mouse the video freeze-frames. I have updated the driver to the recommended driver but my search online turned out to be flash issues.

Since I watch alot of online videos from youtube and other sites, this has turned me down for using linux. The only way I found is to download the online video and watch it on desktop.

If linux developer ever could get this issue fixed then linux would rule in my book as it is fast and lite.

11. taleblou

go to youtube or other online video sites and open a video and move your mouse on the screen or beside it and see if that it freeze-frames, etc..

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try YouTube HTML5. Vimeo is also moving away from Flash. On Chrome, I already see more HTML5 videos than Flash on those two sites by default.

13. wat0114

Using Chrome with its built-in Pepper flash I see no problems, even on tsn.ca that definitely uses Flash plugin.

14. taleblou

Well, I do not know why mine is like that? Any of you using nvidia graphics in linux? My pcs are all have nvidia graphic cards.

15. wat0114

Yes, I use the 319.x 304.88 drivers on one machine and the older 173.x drivers on the other. No problems on either.

One thing I have found these last few minutes while testing, is Firefox on both Lite installations won't play Flash video on TSN.ca; it actually indicates I require the plugin but I know it's installed and working. A few other Flash-based sites i've tried play it fine. Chrome plays it fine on both machines, but of course it uses its own built-in and newer Flash plugin, which is one of the reasons I prefer Chrome over FF.

Attached Files:

16. Sadeghi85

Mine is 319.32, absolutely no problem playing HD youtube videos in Firefox.

As for tsn.ca, no fault of Firefox:

17. wat0114

Hi Sadeghi,

does that mean the video will only play on Flash v11.3.x or higher? If that's the case i'm out of luck because Flash doesn't support linux platforms beyond 11.2.x, other than for security updates :(

18. Sadeghi85

Yes/No. The error message is misleading.

If their player really needs Flash v11.3.0 or higher, they could make that clear, if it doesn't, they could at least check against v11.2.x so Linux users could watch the videos in browser of their choice not just Google Chrome. Even if it does need the higher version, I'd make sure to have an alternative player that works with lower versions of Flash, if I were them.

I'd email them and ask.

19. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

gave it a spin, very nice and fast and stable.

Loved the fact can right click and get menus up...

Its simple and works.

Tried youtube HD trailer, was tad blocky.

One thing I still do not know on these linux distros is how to get ATI or Nvidia or Realtek drivers installed, I think if I could get my graphic card drives up and running it would be running better and clearer HD image quality.

Otherwise this beats pclinux for speed and use :)

20. Sadeghi85

Menu->Settings->Install Drivers

21. wat0114

Thanks Sadeghi!

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I was going to ask how Linux Lite compares to your Mint Xfce setup... would you say it's a bit better then?

23. wat0114

Honestly and unbiased...only a bit better, a bit snappier, at least on my higher end 2006 gaming rig, though I think on this P4 2.4 the difference might be more noticeable...just guessing, but mint 15 is excellent and it's hard to take one over the other. I could go with either one on that machine and be quite content with the choice :) I think for older hardware with no fancy specs, Lite would be the better choice.

24. taleblou

well I have decided to give linux mint-15 another go to see if the streaming video issue repeats again. I will use chrome browser this time instead of firefox.

Since my old pc has 4gb of ram and integrated nvidia geforce 6150 graphic then which version linux mint is better for me to install on this machine. 32bit or 64bit?

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Downloading now to give it a try... sounds pretty good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.