Linux Laptop - Securing Personal Data from Thieves

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by NGRhodes, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I currently use the encrypted home features of Ubuntu - is that enough ?

Do I need to worry about my root partition (I have a separate home partition that ONLY holds my own user home) not been secured ?

Would be interested in what people know/do.

Cheers, Nick

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My policy is to encrypt any portable storage thingie, meaning any device that is not a desktop computer. All external disks are encrypted, unless they contain meaningless info like movies or test virtual machines and such. Personal data resides in encrypted containers.

In my Linux distros, I do not encrypt the home dir, but I use encrypted containers where I keep the data. No need to encrypt anything else really, as the rest of it contains non-personal stuff.

If you use special services, some of which may keep cleartext passwords in partitions like /etc or /var, make sure you use something other than your special passwords.

Mrk

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I encrypt my entire drive for peace of mind (everything except /boot). This way there is no "leakage" of any important data.

4. katio

katio Guest

Depends on your setup but it should be enough for typical Desktop usage, the only thing is I'd move tmp to RAM (tmpfs) and check if swap is encrypted (should be by default when you choose the encrypted home in ubuntu).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.