Linux + IPv6 = slow internet?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For the past few weeks, I've been getting very slow internet access under Linux, but perfectly fine under Windows. In particular, latency of TCP connections is very high - Firefox can sit around trying to "look up" a website for 30+ seconds. Same applies for e.g. downloading packages via HTTP or FTP with the package manager. Ping times OTOH are normal.

After investigating some package downloading issues on my Arch-powered Thinkpad, I eventually found a workaround: disabling IPv6 on my Linux machines. This brings the latency down to something reasonable.

However, Windows 7 (with full IPv6 support, AFAIK) does not suffer from this issue at all.

What's going on? Is there something buggy about the way Linux implements IPv6? Any way to fix it without completely disabling the newer protocol?

2. Not "solved" exactly, but I have found a workaround: switching to Google's public DNS servers. Probably not the healthiest thing from a privacy standpoint, but hey, it's not like I have a pressing need to conceal myself (yet).

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i don't have any problems with my connection, fwiw.

i don't even know if i am using IPv6 or not. o_O

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

5. moontan

moontan Registered Member

tnx Ocky.

i am apparently still on Ipv4 and i timed out trying to connect to Ipv6.
    so indeed there seems to be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.