Linux Install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hobbit666, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbit666

hobbit666 Registered Member

I'm evaluating the Enterprise product with 2 windows servers at the moment which is working fine, but i now want to install and back-up my Linux machine but can't find a install guide to do it from either the managment console for when you run the exe you download and click Extract you only get to save a .i686 file. What am i meant to do with ito_Oo_O

2. krahni

krahni Registered Member

login into a terminal/shell (where the file is) and type "./_tiversion_.686

the install-programm starts and does the rest (if you already downloaded the nessessary kernel-sources and installed the standard-compilers) ...

3. hobbit666

It failed on the compile and told me to see the howto docs but where are they? where are the program files installed to?

4. krahni

krahni Registered Member

you have to install the kernel-source of the kernel you are running, dkms and the standard c-compiler (cc) - maybe i forgot something ...

look at the "/usr/lib/Acronis/TrueImageServer/HOWTO.INSTALL"

5. hobbit666

Still having problem.

1) how do you use dkms?

I have Fedora Core 5

2) how do i check version numbers and locations etc

3) can someone give me an example of the command i should be running

6. hobbit666

OK i'm getting closer all i need to know is how to install the kernal source files and where they are.

7. krahni

krahni Registered Member

1) the acronis-installer uses it to build the kernel-modules ...
    2) i use fedora core 5 too, so it would be quite easy. login as root, open the add/remove software from the menu in gnome, (better install yumex with that program)
    look for the green check at a kernel-2.6.xx, then check the kernel-devel with the same version number, check cpp..., check dkms..., (if they are not yet checked) then install ...
    i think you can also do all this with "yum update kernel-devel dkms cpp"
    (someone corrects me if i am wrong)

normally you don't have to reboot, open a shell (as root), go to the location of acronis...i686 and type "./acronis....i686" (the name of your file of course)

that's it - acronis-installer should do the rest ... unpacking and installing the program and compiling and installing the kernel-modules ...

if something goes wrong look into the install.log (you will find it somewhere)

(sorry for my english - i am german ... ;-))

8. hobbit666

ok after a lot of google i managed to find the devel thingy like you said.

next quest how do you run TrueImage (XWindows)?

9. krahni

krahni Registered Member

in my core 5 / gnome it generates a menu-item under system-tools (the same menu where you find the updater and file-browser)

for the rest : download the pdf-manual it is very good ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.