Linux in Virtual

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Grumlo, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Hello,

Can You write me in Your opinion which linux is the best in use in virtual ?

What better VM or VirtualBox ?

Regards

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Considering good video drivers are scarce in virtual machines, I recommend you using any distro with a XFCE desktop. The distro itself doesn't matter much, but I think Xubuntu is a good choice.

Virtualbox is quite popular.

VM just stands for Virtual Machine AFAIK, not a product in particular.

3. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Thanks
    I mean Vmware player free. Maybe will be better than VirtualBoź ?
    better use Xubuntu 32 or 64 bit to virtual box ?

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Depends on whether you want speed (VMware) or features (VirtualBox). For example, VMware has better GPU and USB support, while VirtualBox has encryption and snapshots.

VMware Player is a lot simpler and limited, but if you don't mind that, then that may be the better choice.

If you have Windows 8.1/10 Pro or above, you can enable Hyper-V (which has the best memory management and better support for Windows OS).

5. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Thanks
    I have to try step by step :)

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I run Linux in VirtualBox. Easy to install, set up and you just load an .iso and if you like what you see in the live session, install it
    to your VM. Easy peasy.

7. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Linux and VirtualBox work great together. VB works OK in Windows but many say VMware would be their preference for a Windows host. I only use Linux so I cannot confirm or deny VMware on either host OS.

Regarding the drivers: it depends in large part on the machine you are using. I run Debian and I only had to locate a few network drivers, but the rest worked from the start. I had to add a few repositories to keep some software all updated but I watch them closely. Absolutely 100% of my workspace happens in VB virtual machines (such as here at Wilder's).

This does include Whonix workstations as well, of course.

8. Grumlo

Grumlo Registered Member

Many thanks for replays :)

9. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

No issues running Virtualbox in either Linux or Windows, I run the same VMs in both. It is a bit faster and more responsive in Linux. Windows is a more resource intensive host which slows down guest VMs. Being less resource intensive is an advantage in both host and guest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.