Linux HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by NoHolyGrail, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoHolyGrail

NoHolyGrail Registered Member

Are any HIPS available for Linux?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The only thing approaching a HIPS for Linux that I've seen in any distro was AppArmour which comes with SuSE 10.2. It's more or less a HIPS. I don't like it myself, it just seems so unnecessary in Linux, more junk to slow things down and SuSE is already slow enough. You can turn it off though if you like.

3. combo

combo Registered Member

4. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

You don't really need a HIPS software on Linux, my
    point of view, its a waste of time.
    I've been running SuSe 10.2 for 8 months with minimal
    security software installed (no Anti-Virus) just SuSe's Firewall.
    There are very little viruses and security vulnerabilities in Linux.

5. NoHolyGrail

NoHolyGrail Registered Member

I thought that might be the case that the lack of security vulnerabilities made it unnecessary. I'm planning on trying out Linux soon, so I'm still mostly unfamiliar with it.

Combo: I'm under the impression there's a difference between HIPS and HIDS. Am I mistaken?

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Running only ever firewalls in all of my Linux distros. There is absolutely no reason to use anything else. It would be like wearing a seatbelt on a ship in case you collide with an iceberg.
    Mrk

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, using an AV or HIPS in Linux kinda defeats the purpose of running Linux to begin with IMO..

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Try out Linux soon, and experience it as is. You may find it liberating!!! If you feel the urge to play with security apps., then boot into windows. I dual-boot ubuntu/xp and have a router, so a firewall is not even installed. It is nice to be able to use the extra ram available for running the plethora of apps. available, and not having to surf the net to find those apps.!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.