linux help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

Hi all

I know I asked this before but ill ask again anyway

Recently I decided that I would like to try out Linux to see if it is indeed better than windows as I have heard so on the recommendations of a few people I decided to try out KNOPPIX however its not very newb friendly and appears to be aimed at the more experienced user so is there for no good to me

hell I couldn't even work out how to set up my screen resolution never mind installing or running programs because there didn't appear to be a central control panel like there is in windows

What I need it a distribution that functions like win 98 as that is the only operating system I have ever used but doesn't come with any programs just the operating system so as not to confuse me but I also need it to be able to run my windows programs like my games as I have quite an extensive collection of games for windows that I wish to still be able to use

I would try lindows as that appears to be pritty close to what I'm looking for but well I would prefer to try it out before paying for it

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I should try out next ?

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Unfortunately, Linux will not run most (if any) of your games. Linux doesn't work the same way as Windows.

Doesn't do much of anything very similar to Windows.

Some would say that's a good thing! ;)

Lindows isn't free. At any rate, although it's more Windows-"friendly" than other versions of Linux, it still will probably be basically useless for running your Windows apps.

3. Bethrezen

hi

ok as its unlikley that any version of linux will be able to run my windows app do you know of any linux emulators that can run my windos apps o_O

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

If you have Windows apps, you probably need Windows.

Lindows is working on some Windows-compatibility stuff, but it's (I believe) limited to business-app file (Office, etc.) compatibility.

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Don't go for Lindows :eek:. If you want more security than Windows, drop the L-version, it's insecure. The reason: there's only one default account, root. It's not very easy to set up more user accounts.
    Lindows is very user friendly, but in order to be so, security is lost :eek:. No need to drop windows in favour of lindows in my opinion :rolleyes:

There are two mainstream windows emulators. There is Wine. Most distributions come with wine. It's a decent emulator, capable of running older office versions and lot's of other windows applications.

Then there is CrossOver. From their website:
    Since most of these functions can be achieved using open source alternatives, I wouldn't go for that (it's not open source, but fully commercial).
    I don't know if you're familiar with Open Office, there you have a great subsitute for MSOffice. No need to emulate Word :)

btw: there is central configuration in Knoppix, I don't have a version at hand, but it's can be reached from the K-button (no need to start linux :D )

6. Bethrezen

Hi

I have a question you say its lindows is insecure how so could you elaborate on that a lil bit because I'm not sure what you mean

If the only resion for this is coz you can only have one account on the comp then it don't mater anyway because we only have 1 account and the rest of my family use that so I don't need other accounts that's just unnecessary bloat if you ask me which is one of the resions I don't like xp all that useless unnecessary networking rubbish that I don't want need or use

I’m not to bothered about my other apps like office programs coz I know that I can find Linux compatible alternatives (like open office which I am aware of I'v been doing my home work) if I just look round

What is really stopping me is getting my games to work because as this is a family computer and we have hundreds of pounds worth of games that are designed to run on windows this is a mager prerequisite for me switching os because my family would be very annoyed if they came to play them and couldn't coz there incompatible

My other prerequisites are stability/performance/security/ease of use

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Any system that only has one account is insecure by default. That means that any process is a fully authorized process.
    The risks of this can be seen in this nice article.
    By using only one account on lindows, all basic security in linux is gone.

Why not use Dual boot: get Win98se on one partition, just for playing games and catching virusses and the second one for your linux professional system ;)

8. Bethrezen

Hi

Thanks for the info

So what would you sagest because as stated earlier if I'm going to use Linux it has to be easy to use so that I can learn the way Linux works and get to grips with the basics at which time I can switch to something a lil more complex and comprehensive

As for the duel boot idea I was thinking the same thing only trouble is whether I'm going to be able to get drivers for my various devices like my modem graphic card and sound card sound and whether I'm going to be able to keep my security tools working like Za Nav Spybot etc working

Again what would you sagest because main stream distro's like red hat are to bloted with things that I'm not going to use for my liking(for example email client I only use web mail) but other slimed down distro's are to hard to work and aren't very newb friendly

What a conundrum

Help

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

When you install linux the root account is created automatically. Most distributions ask you to create a second account right away. Just do so and use that second account. There's nothing complex once this account is created, it's all scripted, so no configuration is needed.

Most current distributions identify the current hardware just fine. Proof? Just run Knoppix :)
    These security tools only run in the Windows context. You don't need them under linux. These tools are available when running windows.
    Configuring security under linux can be a bit hard, but you'll learn as you do... Besides there's almost no need for extra tooling: worms, spyware, so far practically no linux equivalents available. No risk - no tools...
    I don't know if most distro's come equipped with a firewall, but then again, most distributions don't have the exploitable holes that your average Windows system has.

These distributions are bloated with all kinds of software, but during the install you can choose whatever selection of software that you really require. Don't be afraid, just uncheck all that you do not know or care for. Besides, most software is not nearly is big as the windows equivalents and the system is quite clean after the install.
    There are dedicated server distributions that don't come with office and workstation software. These regularly install stripped and hardened systems. Nice for an internet gateway/firewall system.

You're nearly there :)

10. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Just thought I would add a little more to what meener has already mentioned. You definitely should try to restrict your usage of the root account. It is a much better idea to create another account and use the "su - " (switch user) command when you need to do something in root.

And just as a small note... software in Linux and BSD generally install and uninstall much more cleanly compared with Windows. That is why I originally recommended a some what more "bloated" install so that you can get a better feel of what you want and dont want. Whatever floats your boat though ;)

11. Bethrezen

hi

anyone had any experance with lycoris i here thats a pritty easy to use distro of linux

im just wobdering if this is another distro like lindows which has got it all wrong and messed up the security

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.