Linux hang/freeze

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

few days ago my linux hangs every halt not even mouse work no key work..........

strange i keep getting kernels errors on my fedora and ubuntu as well no termenal work keep hanging all the time no key combo work no F1 init 0...................etc

so solution: I did is i remove my ram i clean the slots also i remove my graphic card (nvidia 8600 gt) its full of dust i wonder if its fan was working because of that......i remove it clean all slots with the help of blower and small dry painting brush check all cables if they are properly inserted or not then reinstall ram's and graphic card

now :D

every thing working like a charm as before in my fedora and ubuntu

so moral of story is check basic hardware problems before getting panicked or blaming on linux o_O

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

mack_guy,
    I had a similar problem here recently with my old Sony VGN-S360 laptop. It would just freeze up and nothing would work to unfreeze it. I had to do a hard shut down (power button). The only way I could get it going again was to remove the power cord and battery pack then reconnect those two items. I took the top cover off then used a can of compressed air to blow out the cooling fan compartment and surrounding area. I also took out my ram sticks and cleaned those off. Ever since then it has performed fine. I was afraid for a short while that my hard drive might be going bad but a hard drive diagnostic disc said it was OK. Hopefully my problem is solved. Time will tell I guess.

Later....

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

This is hardware issue and not distro, used to happen to my old machine frequently till I changed the memory, do a memtest and also check for CPU temps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.