Linux for tablets

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by aigle, Sep 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am thinking about this issue off and on for the last few months. Tablets are going to get a healthy share of computing devices now and afterwards. I am thinking how linux is going top penetrate this unique market.

iOS is already on top with it simple but elegant and user friendly GUI for tablets( iPads). Android is also very professional and light for these devices through it still lags in terms of Apps availability but it might change with release of next version of android. Windows 8 is going to be released with a very innovative and pretty Metro UI next year and I expect a wave of tablet devices to follow its release, with all sorts of price tags and a choice of hardware, size and features.

After a year or so, some major linux distros will have to release a version for these devices. The distro for tablets must be light weight, real touch friendly with a GUI made for touch devices. So far I have not heard of any such development going on expect for basic touch support. I am especially interested how ubuntu is going to take this challenge.

What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.