Linux + FirstDefense ISR = Success ;-)

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by chrome_sturmen, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Well men, after having updated to the newest build of isr and then imaging my c: drive with paragon drivebackup just to be safe, I went ahead and took the plunge and installed Linux on a partition I created for it on the same disk as c:
    I am glad to report that everything seems to be working perfectly- when I boot up, grub asks which operating system I want to boot into, ubuntu or windows- if I choose Linux, everything works smoothly ( I am typing this now from Linux) and if Ichoose to boot into windows, immediately the firstdefense isr boot screen comes forth, asking me to press f1 for snapshot options- everything seems to work just fine on that end as well, booted into a couple different snapshots just to test and everything seems ok.
    I like this improvement in the latest build of isr, as it allows me the opportunity to learn Linux, which I have been putting off for quite some time, but feel is an important step for me. Thanks again guys for all the help ;-)

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I think the transition of moving the preboot from off the MBR is just what the doctor ordered in your case, and eventually mine. I been somewhat reluctant and also at a disadvantage for time of late, just to try a simple test as disabling the preboot and installing the Paragon bootloader, boot to my 98SE, and then afterwards when done, seeing if i could uninstall the P bootloader and return the FD preboot without any problems.

But now it looks to me from the excitement enjoyed from your post that the latest build definitely opens up a new window of opportunity for further O/S explorations. :thumb:

Glad all is well and trust it will remain that way for you.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Here some pictures from a virtual machine.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks much wilbertnl for refreshing your post again about this. And uh, send some of that Tulsa spring-air a little more east next time will ya? They still keep hinting at below normal readings over here after a stretch of 70's & 80's last week.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

They threatened us with snow today, and this morning it was c~o~l~d.

6. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Say someone wanted to partition up a 100 gb hd and put windows vista 64, windows xp pro 64 and then FDISR with xp pro 32 with snapshots. Would I need a partition program or just a bootloader program like grub? Any ideas? I'd love to get into some 64 bit computing as I have an amd 64 bit chip on my system.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I never considered this as an adventure, when you use another partition for Linux. The only problem is that you have to know how to do it successfully, but many users already did this in the past. So I knew already it wouldn't be a problem.

I was more interested in a Linux-snapshot under FDISR, using an empty snapshot, but that isn't possible because there is no compatibility. That's why you need another partition on your harddisk.
    So it isn't really Linux + FirstDefense-ISR, because both are created in two different partitions and build 202 doesn't touch the MBR anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.