Linux doesn't recognize partition table

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by ashrack, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashrack

ashrack Registered Member

This I have tried twice and it always happened/

Whenever I resize the NTFS partition then linux's tools, (gtparted,gparted) are no longer able to access the parition tables! And thus I can't even reinstall LINUX since the partition editior doesn't recognize the partition table.
    But If I delete the resized NTFS parition then the linux parititioners start working again.

2. ashrack

bump
    This thing really sucks, ATM Im stuck and can't install anything in LINUX since the GPARTED or QTPARTED don't even recognize the partition tables.

I tried installing latest PArAGON and PARAGON also doesn recognize partition tables. On the left is the image of PARAGON and on the right of ACRONIS.
    partition-table.jpg

ps. The partition tables are in this order:
    EXT2-JFS-XFS-NTFS-REISERFS-FAT32

Last edited: Dec 25, 2006
  3. ashrack

found the solution. Apperantly U cant have 2 extended partitions.
    Which in my case I had.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Ashrack:

I know this is not any help to you but I have a disk with ReiserFS, NTFS, FAT32, and ext3 partitions on it (but no XFS or JFS) and all of the partitioning tools that I have tried all agree on the disk layout. I've viewed it with PartitionMagic, DD10, QParted, GParted, linux fdisk, linux cfdisk and Windows Disk Management Console and everything looks the same in all tools.

Which partitioning software was originally used to create the partition table on your disk? Perhaps there is some kind of error hidden in your partition table. I've seen, for example, tables created by Linux fdisk that are not recognized by PartitionMagic yet work fine in Linux and with DD10.

This is drastic, but you'll probably need to do this to fix things up. First back up all of the partitions using your favorite imaging tool (Acronis TrueImage, for example) and then wipe (zero) the first 64 sectors of the drive to be sure to get rid of any junk or leftover remnants in track 0 of the disk. You can wipe the whole drive if you want but that will take longer.

Next create the partition layout that you want using your favorite partitioning tool. I did mine with DD10. Then restore the contents of all of the partitions and reinstall GRUB or whatever boot loader you were using. If you rearranged the order of the partitions then you will also have to adjust the entries in GRUB, the fstab file in Linux, and boot.ini in Windows.

I did something really stupid once and messed up my disk's partition table and that's the only way that I could fix it short of reinstalling everything.

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Missed that in your pictures. Disregard my last post.

6. ashrack

DD is rearanging my partitions as I type.
    I just love ACRONIS DD and all the power it gives U!
    Normaly U can't have more than 1 extended partition but ACRONIS overcomes even that. Its ashame other Partition utilities cant.
    Anyone knows why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.