Linux Distros & Firefox

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am currently trying (installed) an Ubuntu based Linux Distro. Firefox suddenly started crashing every time that I opened it. The only way I found to stop the crashing was to "remove" Firefox followed by "installing" Firefox. A few times I have had this issue with other Linux Distros that I have tried (installed). I think that one of the other Distros was Fedora based. What could be causing this Firefox crashing problem and how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks in Advance.

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I've used Mint 11 for ~1 month and Ubuntu 11.04 for a couple of weeks. I've not yet encountered crashes with Firefox (latest stable, beta, or Aurora).

(I had tried Epiphany while on Mint 11 and that appeared a bit buggy to me.)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. tlu

tlu Guest

Have you tried a new FF profile? A corrupted profile is usually the most prominent reason for FF crashes.

4. TheKid7

How do you try a new Firefox profile?

Thanks in Advance.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But it seems to be happening across installs and distros. It's not clear whether OP is copy/pasting profile files but that's something I would *not* do.

Edit: inserted *not*

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Even though I use Opera as my primary browser, am yet to experience any crashes with FF on Ubuntu Natty when I use FF on occasions.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

8. TheKid7

I found out that ZorinOS 5.1 is not considered to be a stable version. I downloaded and tried to install ZorinOS 3.1 (considered to be a stable version), but my DVD-RW drive started failing.

I should have been suspicious of earlier incidents regarding my DVD-RW drive, but I ignored the symptoms. In fact there is a chance that part of the install of ZorinOS 5.1 may have been corrupted by the failing DVD-RW drive.

I just ordered a replacement DVD-RW drive. I should have ZorinOS 3.1 installed by middle or late next week. I will see how things go with ZorinOS 3.1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.