Linux Compatibility with Intel CPU HD Graphics

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by TheKid7, Nov 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How compatible are Linux Distros with Intel CPU HD Graphics?

I want to do a PC hardware upgrade and am considering using Intel HD Graphics instead of a PCIE-X16 video card. The upgrade is on a Windows 7 PC. However, I would like to be able to boot a live Linux Distro, if the need ever came up.

The CPU that I am considering has the Intel HD Graphics 4600, which is one of the latest from Intel.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Should be well supported. In fact, sufficiently well supported to run games like Doom 3 (!) if Phoronix benchmarks are to be believed.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

4. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

In my experience, Intel CPU based graphics are the easiest to run a distro with.
    Never had any issues (at least nothing bitter I still remember) with Intel graphics where as ATI/NVIDIA both offered occassional challenges/grinding teeth.
    I'd say Intel is most compatibel due to consistent linux driver support.
    ATI and NVidia switch places for number 2. I used to prefer ATI over NVidia but the latter has stepped up where ATI is the slacker now, imao.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Never had any trouble with Intel graphics on linux either.... On the other hand, I have had trouble off and on with ATI. Intel seems fine....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.