Linux Chromium Browser (GOOGLE CHROME)

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by firefox2008, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firefox2008

firefox2008 Registered Member

Linux Chromium Browser is being made for the Linux community based off of Google Chorme. Does it spy on you the way the Google Chrome browser does? I would think they would take out the part that does.

2. Logos

Logos Registered Member

from what I heard it doesn't. And the thing is there are so many different builds of Chromium, can't tell if the spying part is hard coded, but again, I've been told it wasn't implemented at all in Chromium. Can't check it though, I don't have Linux installed atm, and I don't even remember what tells in the Windows version that it's spying...

Only info I got is from there, a Chromium version for Windows:
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

will try to check later if I can detect what they say...

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Is there any truth to some reports I have read that google chrome sends sensitive and private data back to google without user intervention or permission?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I believe the fear of "private data" being sent from Chrome (or any browser for that matter) is getting a little bit "FUD-like". From what I understand, each copy of Chrome has a number attached to it. That number gets sent back (I'm vastly simplifying here) to Google. The way it seems to me is like a serial number attached to it. I don't see where that would be so "private". I mean, a license plate identifies your car, you have a VIN number on it too, both easily seen by anyone. If you're in the U.S, YOU yourself have a number attached to you that I assure you can be found and seen by more than just your doctor or employer.

It will also of course send back data such as IP address, browser version, operating system and all that, but so does every browser. As far as what you've searched for online and that sort of thing, well, just using Googles' search engine (and really these days any search engine) alone is likely to give that data over to Google (and Yahoo and everybody else you use).

I don't really see where people get the privacy argument on what gets sent back (unless of course the program is true spyware, then that's a different case). None of what gets sent can tell them your name, address, telephone number, Aunt Marthas' secret chocolate chip cookie recipe or any of that.

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You have it reversed. Chromium is not based off Chrome. The opposite is true: Chrome is based off Chromium!

Chromium does not have Google's spying. Google takes the Chromium source code and adds its spying as well as its logo to make Chrome. That's about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.