linux and dell vostro

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Oct 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    has anyone got a dell vostro desktop or laptop and dual booted eiether vista or xp and some form of linux?
    i want to try out linux on my new desktop or laptop as well as having windows as my main os for the program that dont work in linux.
    lodore

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    You could download a iso-image from a distro and and burn it to a cd, this will give an indication of how it will behave on your laptop.

Lamehand

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Pretty much usually just one way to find out how something's going to work on your machine, and that's to try it. You might want to just make an image of your main OS partition prior to installing any Linux distro, then if anything goes wrong, you can restore from that image and everything is back to normal as it was..

I am dual booting Xp and SuSE 10.3 here, with images of my main Xp partition on another HD.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I could always try live cd's and dvd's first.
    I will always have an image of my new computer/ or laptop.
    the main problem is trying to work out which distro i will want to use.
    there is so many ones around its hard to decide.
    but since the laptop should be using standard intel chipset and wireless card there should be any issuses should there?
    lodore

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.