Linksys E900 won't connect

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Recently i purchased a Linksys E900 wireless router for my uncle and i tried to install it in his house without success so i thought it could be due to his ISP Modem. So i brought it back home and tried every single thing possible but it still doesnt connects to my modem.
    After hours of trying without success i brought it back to the shop where i bought it so they could test it, they just plugged it in and it worked without any problem. (I cannot change it for any other product, no return/refund)
    So here i am stuck with this piece of crap that costs $40.

Anyone here have any ideas on how to make it work.
    The things i've done so far:
    -Change the router IP. Default is 192.168.1.1. I've tried 192.168.2.1, 192.168.0.1, 101.190.1.1
    -Reset the router and ISP modem
    -Tried using a static IP/DNS taken from my WORKING Linksys WT120N router.
    -Tried using other methods instead of DHCP
    -Reset only the router
    -Reset only the modem
    -Called ISP customer service to know if they block wireless routers since they charge 1$ to enbale Wi-Fi but it's just a marketing scam because i know dozens of people that don't pay that (I dont really trust these customer service reps, i know how call centers work and 80% of them don't know a crap)
    -Tried Releasing IP Address and then Renewing IP Address through the router web interface
    -Tried using the bundled software with no success
    -Cloned PC MAC Address
    -Updated to latest firmware and tried all of the above again

2. Sir paranoids

Sir paranoids Registered Member

k well on the computer side id go with send the pile to the same place, more often then not this tends to do the trick so

so imho to start off disable all 3rd party networking firewall like apps and run with just the min default win firewall, as you probably know win7 has twin firewalls for testing just go with the most basic one.
    once things are working pump up the defenses.

im guessing as well you want routed mode and not bridged mode.

internal ip on the computer side in ipv4 192.168.1.2
    "next computer xxx.xxx.1.3~1.4~1.5"
    sub~net 255.255.255.0
    dns 192.168.1.1
    default gateway 192.168.1.1
    wan 192.168.1.1
    just pump the pile at the router and forget dhcp you don't need it with a manual setup on the computer side, internal network.

next on the router side for the internal connection to your network
    192.168.1.1 sub~net 255.255.255.0

next Wan side the side connected to the phone line.

Pppoe more then likely enter user name and PW, should be about it btw whos your ISP ? not AOL i hope :mad:

and ya i know you have all ready tried most of that sorry ,just covering the basics for the hell of it.

douse the modem even connect to the net by it self ?
    and the rest of your network hardware is ? how many computers connects etc ?

btw can you ping the modem ?
    start ~ run ~ cmd.exe ~ ping 192.168.1.1

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

connect the router to the modem via ethernet and your comp to the router via cable too. Disable dhcp on the router, let modem deal with it, assign a static ip address to the router. See instructions for a different router but the principle is the same.
    http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/repeaterhubswired.html

4. Sir paranoids

doh its a pure network switch + nat + wireless + router my bad .
    did that last post just before passing out.
    was on reserve brain power when i posted it ;)

so ill assume the modem connects auto stile to the net"routed mode" ,meaning you don't want the next one in
    routed mod but just to act like a network switch~bridged mode, you don't want twin nat do you ?

on the modem side the Intranet settings are ?

btw Cudni your link to the network guru or whatever that was = fail.
    you don't add line filters on the phone line that connects the phone line to the adsl modem. :shifty:

5. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Noob,

This is going to sound like a silly question, BUT does good-old wired networking work with your Linksys E900 router or is it the wireless part that doesn't work right? Or both?

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I'm gonna try some of the suggestions and report back.

It's the Wireless Router (Linksys E900) that doesnt connects to the ISP Modem. (Or it could be the other way, who knows)
    Right now i'm using my Linksys Wireless Router (Linksys WRT120N) and it works flawlessly.

What happens is that when i plug my uncles router (Linksys E900) for some reason the ISP Modem cannot detect that there is a router connected. (Lan LED does not flashes/turns on)

7. Sir paranoids

i was just looking at the manual for the E900 you know it has a built in firewall of sorts,disable that when testing.

this is a shot in the dark, you could use a crossover cable too.
    doubt it would change anything in this day and age seeing as most networking hardware auto negotiates connections on that topic.

mind doing a start~run~cmd.exe~netstat -an ~ ipconfig/all and see what numbers show up with out the E900 plunged in to anything ?

the E900 will cloaking it self from the out side "internet side" world depending on settings so the modem "intranet side" might not be able to tell anything is their and then just drops the connection.

8. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

I don't know if you have tried this or not, but if I were in your shoes, I would press the "reset" switch on the sick router and reset everything back to the factory defaults. BTW - are you trying to connect to a cable modem or DSL modem?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I still havent tried any of the recommendations but i've done what you said at least a dozen times. I've restarted the router and the DSL Modem individually and both of them countless times.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Still no luck, i think i'll just call the ISP and request a technician to come . . . o_O

11. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Noob, I don't know if you follow any of my posting, but I am a retired networking guy. You've just done the right thing by calling your ISP to come out IMO. I believe your router is just fine, it's your DSL modem that either needs replacing or a firmware upgrade.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

That's what i think, i had the same problem with a previous router and they ended up replacing the DSL Modem and everything works fine. So i guess i'll just give the ISP a call so they send me a tech . . . Enough is enough hahahahaha

13. Sir paranoids

rgr that and gl best wishes and all that good stuff NoObb ROTF
    "couldn't help my self sorry" :D

ps im kind of like kdcdq in a way,free lance pc hardware tech 30 years experience,certainly working on my skillz on the topic of network privacy~network security and doing the network pro admin topic.

ill be going back to school soon in order to get my certification cards.
    atm im freelancing my education.

14. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hey Noob,

Please keep us informed if/when your ISP tech comes out and let us know if your router problem is resolved or not...

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I just gave the router to my uncle today, i guess it will take like a week or so before i have an answer. (I told him to call the ISP and request a tech) :D

I used to have tons of problems with my current Linksys WRT120N but i learned a few tricks and it's trouble free now.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My uncle says that he just plugged it in yesterday and it worked right away . . . :eek: :cautious:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  17. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

One comment: Most Excellent...

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahahaha good for him and for ME!
    Finally he will stop nagging me. :D

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  19. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

You're welcome....:cautious:

20. Niels

Niels Registered Member

I hope that you did connect a network cable of your ISP modem to the WAN/internet port of your wireless router. This should be done to be able to let your wireless router connect to the internet. Good to hear that the problem is solved.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I did . . . Hahahahaha
    I think i plugged/unplugged/reset that router more than 30 times . . . o_O
    As soon as i switched to my own router (Linksys WRT120N) it worked immediately. :rolleyes:

22. Niels

Niels Registered Member

So even when you are near the wireless router, it still wasn't possible to make an internet connection.

You could disable DHCP on the wireless router, and let your modem distribute ip-addresses trough DHCP. That could also be the reason by default when you reset a router DHCP will be active. Two DHCP servers can cause issues, unable to connect to internet.

Do you know that a tech has visited your uncle? The only reason that I can find why it now works , that there were problems with the modem. Because if the router that you tried works flawlessly by not changing anything (DHCP, ...), and the Linksys wasn't replaced that is the most logical conclusion.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

No, the tech did not visit him.
    He decided to try plugging it by himself and for some reason it worked without doing ANYTHING.
    I did try disabling DHCP and even tested all internet connection types in the Wireless Router IP. :D

(He knew how to plug it because initially i was trying to make it work at his house but since i couldn't make it work i took the router home to troubleshoot it)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.