LinkScanner Free & Pro released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by QBgreen, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Exploit Labs just released these programs for public consumption. Check it out if you will: http://www.explabs.com/

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

great to see they have a free version, i may add it to my arsenal.

3. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Could It be an OEM product from CallingID?

It keeps connecting to db.callingid.com before getting the result.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  4. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

LinkScanner = SocketShield ?!? It's nice to see that they have Free version too. I reinstall my setup today and definitely add LinkScanner.

-MikeNAS

EDIT: I answer to my own question.

Exploit Prevention Labs is about to release a new product called LinkScanner Pro. LinkScanner Pro will replace SocketShield as our premium consumer security product. We are offering current SocketShield users an opportunity to install this new product before its official launch, which is scheduled for the week of November 27th.

Upgrading to LinkScanner Pro now, or in two weeks, is not mandatory but is highly recommended. SocketShield will continue to protect your computer and receive updates for the length of your license should you choose not to upgrade.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nvm. its only for Internet Explorer :(

6. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

WTF?!?! Are they so stupid and don't give Firefox/Opera support?

7. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

I have just installed LinkScanner Pro and am pleasantly surprised to see that the conflicts with both NOD32 and RegRun Platinum 4.6 have been resolved in this latest release. FYI, based upon personal experience, the former SocketShield and current LinkScanner will protect against exploits in Internet Explorer, FireFox and Opera.

Peace & Love,

CogitoErgoSum

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

so, is this(the free version) a competitor to SiteAdvisor?
    Could interest me if they add support for third-party browsers

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I just installed pro version and commenced using it. I have the doubt of its usefulness and effectiveness. For an example, it flagged two popular d/l sites as Risky; majorgeeks.com and snapfiles.com. And I do not know how many others will be ended up w/ same fates. Is this piece of app worth $20.00 (after deep discount) ?:rolleyes:

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Strange, strange. 40 minutes after my previous posting, I went back to visit those two d/l sites in question, guess what, No alerts at all. Can someone help me solving this puzzle o_O?

11. rogert30062

rogert30062 Registered Member

Hi,

We do OEM CallingId, although it is not the only thing we do.

Firstly, we check our own databases for our own opinion of what the site is about. These are stored locally on the pc, and are very quick. We then scan the target page using our SocketShield engine. If that's still ok, we get an opinion from CallingId.

Cheers

Roger
    CTO, Explabs.com

12. rogert30062

Hi Perman,

I checked both sites and both came up clear for me. Neither site is in our databases, and neither is likely to be throwing exploits. They might have come up from our call out to CallingID, and they might have cleared them (which they should have).

We're still tweaking stuff, and it's a dynamic web we're dealing with, so if you see something weird and can get a screen shot, feel free to send it to me and we'll sort it out.

Cheers

Roger
    rthompson@explabs.com

13. rogert30062

Hi Lucas,

We are adding support for 3rd party browsers. Firefox is first. The free version will only work with IE, but the Pro version does real time scanning using SocketShield, and works with all browsers now.

Roger
    CTO
    Explabs.com

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Hi, roger, thanks for your prompt reply, especially as your capacity as a CTO. There are three updates of malsite detection already since I installed pro version 9 hours ago. This is very impressive. Nice work indeed.:thumb:

15. lucas1985

Thanks for your quick and detailed answer.
    It´s a shame that you only support IE in the free version because you already have a really big competitor working on alternate browsers. Your technology is more advanced but you can´t beat free ;)
    You must consider that a free version working on Firefox/Opera could give you a lot of site testing and bug reporting. This feedback might enhance your core bussines.
    At this moment, this(perhaps immense) potential belongs to McAfee

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm also not interested on it if the free version not support Firefox and Opera...

17. rogert30062

:)

Thanks!

18. rogert30062

Sorry .... slight misunderstanding there. The free version will also work with at least Firefox, when we have the Firefox module, which will be soon-ish. Dunno how far out Opera is.

What I meant was that the Pro version does real time scanning for all browsers now.

Cheers

Roger
    CTO
    Explabs.com

19. lucas1985

Great news. Firefox support is a must for me :thumb:
    So:
    -Free version relies only in the database. Same as SiteAdvisor
    -Paid version adds real time scanning

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

i had the paid version of scoketshield and installed the beta of linkscanner -pro now i downlaoded the full version of linkscanner pro.my question is that xpl sent me a key for a free year of linkscanner pro for being a beta tester,now do i enter that key now or wait till my sub is over then enter the key.i still have 300 days left on my paid key.if i put in the new key will it add 1 year to my 300 days or not?or should i wait.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  21. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

If you put the new key in, it will add it on top of your old key. I had beta tested, but then decided to puchase a 1 year license for SocketShield. As soon as it was installed, I got the message to upgrade to LinkScanner and decided to do it. They gave me a new key and when I entered it, I had 2 years instead of 1 year on my subscription! I was doing some searching this afternoon and already got some serious RED alerts about some search links. I find the info much better than what I used to get from Site Advisor.

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will wait for the Opera support...

23. rogert30062

Hi Lucas,

That's still not quite right.

Free version still scans the webpages programmaticly, as well as looking up our databases.... but only on demand.

Paid version also scans the TCPIP stream in real time.

Put another way ... if you QuickScan a webpage or do a google search with the free version, it checks out all the pages, but doesn't go to infinite depths on the links. It would take too long.

The paid version does all of that, but also watches what comes along the TCPIP stream, whether you're doing a specific search or not.

So... if you're just surfing the web, as opposed to specific searching, the Pro version is better because it's always watching.

It's the difference between on demand antivirus scanning and realtime antivirus scanning.

Does that make sense?

Roger
    CTO
    Explabs.com

24. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

25. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Linkscanner Pro issue with SSM?

I could not get my computer to work properly until I disabled SSM. I could not even uninstall Linkscanner Pro while I had SSM running. It seems to work fine now but is there some setting I need to make for SSM to run at the same time? LSP looks like a great program to have.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.