LinkedIn sued for 'hacking' users' email accounts, pestering friends

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Good Good Good Good Good!!!!!!! GOOD JOB and I hope they win the case.

A few months back a friend who had joined Linked In and who is not security savvy wasn't even aware that Linked In sent me 3 emails PESTERING me to "confirm you know <....(the contact)......> " My friend was TOTALLY unaware they did this. I considered this action VERY obnoxious and in fact illegal. They were nothing more than spam. Ive just recently received another 3 in relation to another contact.

Linked In SUCK. :mad:

3. Reality

LOL, well Ronjor, my comments were made PRIOR to reading your link....

How ironic such an obnoxious ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ website such as Linked In supposedly stands for professionalism. Some of the more astute comments are of no surprise.

How often should you have to say NO to someone? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2013
  4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm also really happy this is coming to a head, I've also been pestered by invitations by LinkedIn. Lately once I delete them they keep coming back insisting that I accept... Too aggressive for my taste.

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

LinkedIn caused me to alter my behavior regarding giving people my email address. I just don't give it to anyone anymore. Twice was enough for me. People need to wise up when it comes to freely sharing other people's email addresses - and we all know that will never happen!

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://blog.linkedin.com/2013/09/21/setting-the-record-straight-on-false-accusations/

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Taking them at their word, it's arguable that some users don't understand what email lists they're providing to LinkedIn. That is, they may be sharing all email addresses in their client's "seen address" list, rather than just the addresses that they want LinkedIn to invite.

Is that plausible?

Even so, the complaint claims that LinkedIn won't stop sending invitations upon user request. And I don't see anything in LinkedIn's explanations that explicitly disputes that claim. Am I missing something?

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

9. Reality

At the time this first happened to me, I went to their site trying to figure out what was going on through their policies and what not. Without going back and taking a look, Im pretty sure it was either where they put it (hard to find) like buried amongst a heap of other stuff, or hard to get to, or the way they worded it about address books.

Linked In are plainly annoying many folks for this. If they REALLY wanted to stop appearing to hi-jack address books they would put their policy about it on a topmost level in bold visible letters for all to plainly see. Instead they put it where people are least likely to see it or heed it because of being buried amongst heaps of other stuff.

Plainly its aggressive when they keep sending and pestering you via email. It is stepping over the line because unaware your friends are OKing LI to spam you. It is unsolicited email. Nobody has the right to allow 3rd parties to send you mail, but LI are counting on you "going easy on it" because its your friends. I think this is a pretty dirty and low trick.

I hope they get pinged for it good and proper.

10. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

11. mirimir

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha lol, i'm sure it could be :D

Maybe because the bad guys like Linkedin and they want more people to join :D

13. mirimir

Ah :argh:

More marks ;)

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://allthingsd.com/20130927/cona...-conquer-it-anyway/?mod=atd_homepage_carousel

I love you Conan :D

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

16. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Never uploaded my address book there and also I use a MaskeMe email as Linkedin Email. In this way I can easily filter all the crap I get from them.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/05/linked-in-settles-class-action-lawsuit/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.