Limiting number of backups stored

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ryland, May 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryland

Ryland Registered Member

I had been using Norton Ghost 9 before switching to True Image and was able to limit the number of backup sets stored. I have it creating a full backup on Monday and incrementals for the other 6 days. I want to automatically keep 3 weeks worth of backups and delete any beyond that. I can't find a way to do that in true Image though.

Thanks.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ryland,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that you will be to perform this actions with help of pre/post command of Acronis True Image. You will be able to create a batch file to delete backup that you do not need. And you can specify this batch file to be automatically executed before or after the backup procedure.

Additional information can be found in the Chapter 5.3.3 "Pre/post commands" in Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User Guide.

Please find the information about batch files in the articles below:

http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/batch.mspx?mfr=true
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/winntas/tips/techrep/batchtr.mspx?mfr=true

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. Ryland

Ryland Registered Member

Thats not quite as simple as Ghosts method but it will work. Thanks!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to write the batch file to delete the specific files if they are older than 14 days.

4. kjanzen

kjanzen Registered Member

I hate to impose on the support team - but a lot of people seem to be asking for examples of a batch file that will delete 'x' number of their differential backups.

Is it too much to ask that the support team posts an actual batch file example instead of just providing links to Microsoft's website - which does noob's like me no good at all.

If anyone has an example batch file that will delete old DIFF files - I would greatly appreciate your sharing it.

Thanks!

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

6. Ryland

Ryland Registered Member

The problem with using the thread you referred to is that it uses the date as part of the file name for renaming purposes whereas I would need to compare the creation date of the files against some date in the past to see if they need deletion.

I did find a utility that will do this (it works fine on one box but I need to check my java install on the box I really want to run it on). DelOld

Having "support" state that you can do it in post processing via a batch file is silly. It isn't like limiting the number of stored backups is something esoteric that a small slice of users would want...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.