Limited account failure

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by brabason, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brabason

brabason Registered Member

I changed a games account from administrator to limited to improve security. Now when I log on to this account, nothing is available: Task Manager shows only six processes running. If I change the account back to administrator, everything works OK. Any ideas?

Brabason

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Disable options like "block new and changed programs"

Enable Learning Mode

Then do the user change, SMSS will need to install a driver (at least)

3. brabason

:'(
    Gavin

I tried your idea with no luck.

1) switched to learning mode and switched off execution protection
    2) changed games user to limited
    3) log off/switch user from administrator account
    4) log on to games account

No difference. Actually 65 processes running but only 5 showing in task manager (Limited user?)

Seems to have lost the account: no desktop, no application values if I run a programme.

PG log file shows repeated executions verclsid.exe (authorised). This is not called when the games account is administrator.

Any ideas?

4. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

Just a guess, but maybe if the programs (games, etc.) were installed in the administrator account, they are only valid for that account (group?). I come to this idea, because i've seen some programs that ask if you want the to install for current user only or all users.

Another reason could be file permissions, maybe the programs are only permitted to the administrators group. If this is the case, a simple permission alteration to explicitly allow the games account to see / read / run them should fix the problem.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

6. brabason

Paranoid2000
    No luck after uninstalling KB908531 (which removes verclid.exe). Problem with limited account failure still here. Windows update automatically reinstalled KB908531 later.

some made up name
    I like your idea about having installed the games in the account. However none of the games load at log on time.

I do not think it is a PG problem because there are no log entries either for failures or for allowed game execution.

Giving network and other users sharing access did not work either. The games software is on a second hard drive F: but the user account is on C: as usual.

Any other ideas to try out?

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Quite possibly other software you have running on startup may be the cause, if it requires admin access. Try using msconfig to review what is set to run on startup and try disabling the items in its Startup tab to see if this helps. Trying a login in Safe Mode is another method of doing this.

Another approach - rather than changing your games user from Admin to Limited, why not just create a new games account with Limited access?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.