Lightweight firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by xXx 0wn3d xXx, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXx 0wn3d xXx

xXx 0wn3d xXx Registered Member

I have a computer that is about 6 years old and I require a good firewall that will be lightweight but functional. I am planning to run Nod32 as the anti-virus program. Any help would be appreciated concerning this matter.

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Kerio 2.1.5

3. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi

Look'n'Stop and NOD co-exist very well.

The Online Armor firewall is also excellent with the caveat I always give -as a very happy beta tester, I'm biased. I don't think you'll be disappointed when it's released. :)

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could also try Jetico 1.0

5. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

To the best of my knowledge, those already mentioned are rule-based and not very easy to setup. Comodo is one of the best FWs around, easy-to-use, and it's free, so why not try it to see how if runs on your system?

7. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Look N Stop or Jetico both are light and excellent firewalls but Jetico is very difficult to set up. Will try it again myself when I have a lot of time on my hands.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  8. flinchlock

See this Jetico Rules Tutorial

Mike

9. 12fw

12fw Registered Member

I like the Kerio 2.1.5- runs light and internet is fast. It very seldom goes over 6,000 k mem. It is stable. Rules based firewalls like Kerio 2.1.5 can be tighten to enhance the security. Using the Custom Address Groups for the IE properly can beat the AWFT leaktest and the PCFlank Leaktest. Not allowing the windows explorer to go internet and instead just the LAN, making each application do DNS lookups, restricting other windows files for the LAN, setting the IPs for the time servers and a few other rules will really increase the firewall security. That and SSM (also light on the PC) and an antivirus such as AntiVir (also light) will make excellent security suite and not just a light firewall setup. The NOD32 works very well with the Kerio 2.1.5.

12fw

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you have a router with a firewall in it you could just use that to spare resources on your old system.

11. Diver

Diver Registered Member

As usual, everyone is ready to answer without knowing even what operating system is running. If it is any Win 9x variant you might as well stay off the internet.

12. flinchlock

Yup, I did not think to ask additional questions... my brain.exe needs an upgrade!

Mike

13. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am using one of those variants since 1998 and haven't had any hard drive crashes, identity theft, or any serious system problem that was the result of using the outdated operating system.

Since you said that your system is over 6 years old and you make no mention of an upgrade, I will presume that you have Windows 2000 or earlier since Windows XP was released on October 2001. The light firewalls in terms of system resource usage that I have heard of are Kerio 2.1.5 and LookNStop. I use an old version of Zone Alarm on a couple of my systems. If you do have XP, the SP2 firewall is very light, but there is no outbound protection.

14. LoneWolf

If you follow the links I provided you will find that they both should work with a system that is 6 years old.
    xXx own3d XxX plans on using NOD32,I assume the OS is Windows.

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  15. LoneWolf

Thank you Mike. That will come in handy when i'm ready to try Jetico again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.