Lightest browser.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Oct 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Hi,
    Any opinions please as to which browser members would consider the lightest on computer resources.
    I would say at the moment firefox is the lightest i have used but are there any browsers which are lighter.o_O

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

QTweb.

If you were watching browser footprints 5 years ago and 10 years ago, and even 15 years ago, you would see that today there is no such thing as a lightweight browser. Gone are the days of optimizing things for low end specs. Which means those with older hardware, or that just want spartan software, have fewer choises...

Sul.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you want a browser that's light you're going to have to use somethign like Lynx, which has no features. What's changed 5, 10, 15 years is that numerous features have been added.

I would say Firefox is the lightest mainstream browser.

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

I always install Opera on slow computers. 2nd would be the Chromium family.

5. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use Crazy Browser on portable windows installations and rescue disks like BartPE because it's so small. The installer is on 722 KB, yet it still works well for basic browsing.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I would have thought Chrome is lighter than Firefox.... feels lighter anyway...

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Faster and lighter are two very different things.

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have not seen a browser thats not resource hungry but how the browser performs is whats important.My experience with IE9,Chrome and Dragon which is based on chrome work well on windows 7.There snappy and pretty secure and besides that you can have mutiple browsers installed and use each one for different task.

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

True... I have never measured how much ram each uses or any specifics like that...

10. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

K-Meleon?
    Been using it for years, although future development is iffy.

11. guest

guest Guest

How about "Browzar Private Web Browser"

I use Pale Moon myself, I think this is a little lighter
    than Firefox but still has all the advantages Firefox
    without some of the downfalls of it

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

13. The Red Moon

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Optimized Firefox browser for pure browsing speed is SwiftFox:

http://getswiftfox.com/

Its an alternative if you want a browser that is light and also built on the Firefox browser code.

Unfortunately, its only available for GNU/Linux platform! :(

15. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

16. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

17. carat

carat Guest

K-Meleon is very light but the last update was in 2010. Do you think it's safe to use an outdated browser? :doubt: I don't know ...

18. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

19. The Red Moon

A very interesting article.
    Certainly for me the green and slim browsers looked very promising.they looked the lightest but this is just one test.:thumb:

20. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

k-melon is pretty light,but its not be updated for 2 years,so i would not recommend it.

the lightest mainstream browser would be opera actually,considering the things it already comes pre loaded with like mouse gestures,sync,speed dial, the only plugin for opera that i use is last pass.

21. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

K-Melon is indeed dead.

22. The Red Moon

Do you get WOT and adblock and other extensions like that in operao_O

23. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

WOT: https://addons.opera.com/en/search/?query=WOT

Adblock: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/adblockforopera/?display=en

;)

Opera is turning around possibly. It's always been known as innovative, but over the years some of those ideas resulted in performance and security concerns (such as Unite). Unite is gone, the atrocity (my opinion) that was Widgets is now gone. Addons are becoming more plentiful and better quality, and Opera still retains its plethora of built-in options and features. I'm not certain I'd consider it "mainstream", but that's a disussion for a different thread and has been talked about many times over. It is still a very good option.

24. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

^^ is spot on. the only addon not available for opera is xmarks,possibly because they gave opera sync for ages.

and as far as i know opera is what i would call a browser suite,with mail. torrent client and rss reader inbuilt.

25. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'd agree in calling it a suite, and a pretty darn good one at that. Opera has its flaws, such as security and lack of massive use (said lack of use is also one of the main reasons attacks against it are rare of course). But, again, it has a lot going for it as well. More on-topic though, neither it nor any of the popular choices can really be considered "light". Then again, unless you're running on 1Gb of RAM or less or are worried your processor is going to commit suicide because of a Flash ad or game, I'm not sure "light" is that important on a modern system. Firefox is still suffering memory leaks however, so its "lightness" can vary like the direction of the wind.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.