Light Security Set-up for Netbook w W7 Starter

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chinook9, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I have a new Asus 1005PEB netbook with 1.66 CPU and 1 GB of RAM. The 250GB HDD provides plenty of space. I will use this for videos on aircraft and overseas for internet access. My first trip is to China so I feel as though I need some good protection.

I expect the Windows 7 firewall is pretty good, but what about an anti-virus or any other light anti virus/anti-malware. I expect that while watching videos I can turn off the security software.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Hi there

How about Sandboxie, as you're 32 bit, to isolate the browser. Then turn off your NIC when just watching videos.

philby

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

A freeware and low overhead option

1. Install Trusteer Rapport (see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1636311&postcount=21 for configuration)
    2. Install Avast v5 only the file and behavioral shield
    3. Create a limited user account
    4. Set UAC to full on the admin account and enable DEP for all programs
    5. Use IE8's protected mode or Chrome (its tabs also run with LOW rights),

Not running admin means you won't be bothered by 90% of the problems

Running IE8 in protected mode (lower rights objects can't infect higher rights with UAC on) means you run with LOW rights (fo rreference, you admin runs with High, a Limied USer wuns with Medium rights). So this only leaves room for side by side infections. Since Trusteer Rapport protects the browser process, this threat is also reduced. IE8's smartscreen filters out 65% of the problems. As an alternative you can install Chrome for IE8, make sure you install site advisor for Chrome to get simular protection as IE8's smartscreen.

When you do not want to run as limited user (but stay admin)
    Install Rising Freeware, set OS protection to high. In this case do not install Avast. A Chinese AV might be a good option because you go to China. Rest is the same (Trusteer, DEP) you can set UAC to default (with Rising HIPS)

Regards Kees

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. viking313

viking313 Registered Member

Been lurking a long time...only a couple post over the years.....I have the same little Netbook....love the little guy by the way....anyway I run mine with a Limited User Account and MSE....I don't really notice any drag.I did shut off the check archieves option in MSE but not sure if it helped speed up realtime.Just my 2 cents....good luck on your trip.

Oops....forgot to add that I use Chrome as my browser....Didnt know about the add on....

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep, when you use Chrome and not a chromium dev version Trusteer Rapport also works on Chrome. SiteAdvisor for Chrome and AdSweep and New Tab Behaviour are nice freebies.

Edit:
    You can remove the Chrome session ID manaually, just open local state file in Chrome USer data folder with notepad. Look for a line which says user exeperience and look for session id, change it as shown (change value to zero as shown in red), next make this file read only.
    "user_experience_metrics": {

"session_id": 0,

Regards

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

IMO, Panda AV for notebooks is the best for netbooks. Its light and designed to be fast without fat. Plus Panda has one of the best AV detections( as per AVC feb 2010 report) with a solid firewall to boot. Coupled with Panda-WOT, plugin you get best protection

I use it on my Wind PC, haven't found any better suit yet.

As for China, I suggest getting a VPN connection ( like StrongVPN ). Its frustrating to find Wikipedia and other common sites blocked in China. And VPN provides good security from snoops too.

7. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Avast v5 Pro and use its virtualizing to sandbox the browsers and use Windows built in firewall.

8. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Yes ASUS very good laptop make sure you use ESHE feature with GMA Booster and you will have a pretty fast netbook. I have purchase one ASUS and Acer Netbook. Both use Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with 2GB of RAM, also Firewall in 7 UA with MSE.

9. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

Is ESHE the Superhybrid feature? I have this loaded and done a little experimentation with it.

I will do some study on GMA Booster. Presently, I am attempting to download it but I'm not having much luck. I'll keep on trying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.