Lifetime Licenses from Bitdefender: Another Fuss?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sg09, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Bitdefender too have started delivering lifetime licenses. Its called Bitdefender Internet Security PC Lifetime Edition.
    http://www.tech.dealsxd.com/2012/12/bitdefender-internet-security-pc-lifetime-edition.html

2. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Ya, that definition of lifetime is lame.

Five years for $80 is good.

And Bitdefender is good right now.

But there is a decent probability it will not be so good in a couple of years.

I'd pass.

3. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

Why would you want to trust security company with semi-dishonest licensing.

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Atleast they have mentioned that point. Many don't. ;)

5. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Agreed.

Also, you can find Bit for as cheap as $5.00 a year for a license if you look around. Hardly worth $80, and it really seems a but like a scam to call it a lifetime license to begin with.. Not good.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think the most important issue is you can't know how effective next year's version will be. I prefer a one year subscription because that's in sync with the release schedule for new versions of security products. It makes sense to examine the field every year to see if your current product is still at the top or if something else is. As to price most of them are heavily discounted from time to time, so it's not necessary to buy a multi-year license to get a better deal.

7. Bodhitree

True, I tend to evaluate over 12 month cycles. Although I bought my second 3 year just a day ago to Bullguard because I was impressed. I hope it stays healthy and nice over the 3 years or I will be a sad puppy.:D

Given how cheap it was, I wouldn't be that worried, but I would also migrate it to client PC's if the product wasn't to my liking any longer.

8. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

IMHO, there is NO PC lifetime license that is worth ANY money.

Tomorrow your hard disk fails (i had 2 many years ago that died 1 within 7 months and another, same model RMAed, died in 3) and your license is gone.

Not to mention, you never know, if like in GFI, they may consider formatting as "end of life".

As others said, you can get on offers or discount coupons many antiviruses very cheap. And at least you know how much your license will last.

These "PC lifetime" are like sitting on a mine. One wrong move and it blows.

9. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I agree. I would only pay extra for a PERMANENT license.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what about twister antivirus?

11. Fuzzfas

Twister isn't "PC lifetime". It's "lifetime". As in TRULY lifetime. I 've already activated it on 3 different "hardware deaths" (changed motherboard, CPU twice, VGAs, RAM, HDD,SSD) and on 2 different OSes (WinXP and 7x64) and didn't flinch.

It simply shows a pop up window, saying "hardware change detected", a hash of the hardware and a warning that if you activate your current hardware, your old in which it was working before, will be automatically de-registered from Twister's servers and thus deactivated. You click OK and it activates. End of story. When you run Twister, you have on bottom of the GUI a nice "medal" (like military medal) with "lifetime" written next to it. Twister's license is good as long as Twister exists, no matter how PCs you change or OSes.

"PC Lifetime" IS NOT the same as "lifetime".

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good to know thanks:thumb:

13. Bodhitree

Twister license sounds fantastic, just waiting for some nice improvements and carefully watching them. (like I did Bullguard)

I think in general, buying dirt-cheap licenses for limited time periods is best. PandaCloudPro can be grabbed off Ebay for $2-$3 a license. Webroot is nearly free, you can buy the 2011 version and it will upgrade to the 2013 for free. Figure $5-$10 max for a 3 PC license. I see Bit Defender for 80%+ off all of the time.. I got Bullguard for 70% off. Watch Freebiest or Bits Dujour, I got Zemana free on there no need for Spyshelter headaches anymore. Etc..

Plenty of options, no real need to buy lifetime anymore.

14. Fuzzfas

Twister's license was a good investment if you were to believe in its potential, when it was out for 25$. I mean, imagine if in the future it was to become something like a chinese Norton or Kaspersky and you had a cheap license bought for 25$ and you could use it for many years. At the current price (50$ on offer, down from 90$), i am not so sure it's fantastic, exactly, because as you say, you can get very cheap licenses for various antiviruses. I m happy i bought it at 25, i wouldn't buy it at 50, certainly not at 90$. Of course if someone doesn't care so much about money, 50$ for a lifetime isn't too bad. But i like taking some risk, but not too much risk. Twister is still a risky investment. I think it has a better future ahead of it, but i bet 25$ on it, wouldn't bet 50$. :)

15. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Twisters lifetime concept seems good and customer friendly. My computer lifetime is seldom more than a year and a half (change motherboard, RAM, graphic card)
    I spend alot of money on hardware and software. I would never again buy a software that dont allow me - without any fuzz - to change my hardware or reinstall windows as I please. I did that mistake once with Shadow Protect.

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I think this was posted a couple months ago when there was a BD lifetime license offer. :rolleyes:

17. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Sorry if I missed that post. Can you please give that link Noob! :) Btw, this offer is still valid but no one should run for the Lifetime tag but may for the multi year tag.

18. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition

Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition provides comprehensive protection against viruses, spyware, hackers, and other common threats that can lead to identity theft, loss of personal data and slow system performance throughout the lifetime of your system.

To help you better understand the product you purchased and answer to some of your questions, we have prepared a few frequently asked questions:

What happens if I upgrade my computer hardware?

You may upgrade your computer hardware without affecting Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition.

However, changing a system component, such as the motherboard may affect the product.

When this situation occurs, please contact us so that we may assist you in reinstalling the product.

What happens if I make modifications to my computer software?

You may change or reinstall your operating system. You may even install or remove your Bitdefender product as many times as you wish. This will not affect your Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition.

When Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition is no longer supported by your operating system, we will replace your Bitdefender product with a similar one. We will also make sure that you will benefit from the remaining number of days.

What should I do if my computer is lost or stolen?
    If your computer is lost or stolen, we are ready to help you.

Simply contact us so that we may assist you in reinstalling the product on the new system.

On how many computers can I install Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition?
    Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition can be used for the entire lifetime of one computer.

Can I transfer Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition from one computer to another?
    Bitdefender PC Lifetime Edition has been designed to be used on one computer.

Since the product license key is tied to the computer where it’s first installed, it cannot be transferred to another computer.

19. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

They simply ought to replace 'entire lifetime' by '5 years'. Their current sales pitch is bollocks, even a tad nauseating.
    "Lifetime protection key is valid for the computer you first install it on, for the lifetime of the machine, not exceeding 5 years". link

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Exactly :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.