[License] 1 License for Home & Office PC?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by thylacine, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thylacine

thylacine Registered Member

Hi!

Been reading a while in ESS/EAV threads, and I can't help but to wonder the licensing policy ...

I'm thinking of getting EAV, but I have two PCs (1 is my personal home PC and another 1 is my personal office PC)...

If I get a 1 user license, can I install EAV on both home & office PC?

The reason is that I bought the license and of course I use my own EAV license at home and office (not for sharing definitely)...

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Licenses are sold on a per PC basis, not per user basis, but home users are able to purchase multiple PC licenses at a bit of a discount - which is typical among offerings in this market.

Blue

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

You can have one license but it must support protection for 2 workstations . This way you can install/use 2 copies - one on your home machine and the other 1 on your work computer .

It doesn't matter if one of your machines is located at your workplace , it is still a workstations . You need to buy Eset Antivirus Home edition :thumb:

4. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Typical is nowadays that software can be installed on three PC's in a home....

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Actually typical for companies going down and trying everything they can do "save" some "clients" ;)

6. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I'm glad that you put a smilie behind your line. It's not normal that a license is for one PC only with most people having a second PC at home. And luckily most companies agree with that and changed their license thing. Eset is one of the few to do not.

7. BlueZannetti

Actually it's fairly variable still and often product (say AV vs. suite) or region dependent.

I do realize that it's happening more often and is probably something any company should examine as a way to keep/grow market share in an increasingly competitive situation.

Blue

8. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Why is it that everywhere you turn these days there's a company offering 3 user editions!This is Almost the norm these days.By the way this is just an opinion. I've got 3 comps at home and a 3 user saves me some money.For a company not to offer a 3 user edition and release something that shouldn't even be released due to bugs!!!I think that's bad practice and they should take a better look at what's going on around them.Perhaps it's just me but this company doesn't have care about there customers.:thumbd:

9. thylacine

thylacine Registered Member

ok, let me get this clear ;)

if I buy EAV v3.0 Home Edition, that single license will allow me to setup my home + office PC (1 user, 2 workstations) ...

I'm worried that ESET will blacklist my license because i use more than 1 workstation ...

logically, if i buy my own license, it should be usable for 2-3 workstations (similar to HiTech_boy's and Edwin024's reply below) ...

just want to get this info accurate before i place my order :D :thumb:

*Note*: Just as a comparison, my existing AV is Panda Antivirus + Firewall 2007; when i last purchase it, a single purchase gives me 3 license!

10. BlueZannetti

As I originally noted and regardless of the practice of other vendors, the current Eset sales protocol is 1 license = 1 user = 1 physical computer system. You can purchase multiuser licenses (for example, a 2 user license) to install on multiple systems using a single username/password. Quoting from the license agreement (which is burdened by the typical obscure legalese):
    For the specific configuration you mention, that would be a 2 user license. Note that an n-user license does not cost n times a single user license and, depending on the region and reseller, can be price competitive with at least some of the other options available. See here for example offerings.

Blue

11. Speed0

Speed0 Registered Member

Ok, I have another question that could fit here.

If I have dualboot on my workstation, with Vista and XP, can I have my Nod32 installed in both OSes? I should be able to, because we are only talking one user and one workstation here, right?

12. YadaYada

YadaYada Registered Member

Yes...I too am interested in this answer.
    I also have Ubuntu...could I use NOD on Vista, XP , and Ubuntu on same PC?

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You can use your license for the dualboot - as long as it is on one workstation

You can use it on XP and Vista but not on Linux because Linux requires different license . And again , as long as it on one machine it is only possible

14. Itsme

Itsme Registered Member

I have also a question.

I have 3 computers all running WinXp Pro. One computer runs VMWare .... do I need a license for each virtual environment running on this computer or do I only 1 license for the computer the virtual OSes are running on?

Kind regards
    Itsme

15. rei

rei Registered Member

i was looking to buy the 4-license home pack for:

pc #1 (mine) dual-booting XP and Vista
    pc #2 (not mine)
    pc #3 (not mine)
    pc #4 (laptop, eee pc, mine but it will need another license since it's another machine)

just worried i'd get blacklisted from updating signatures between xp and vista.

just hoping to get official word before i throw down $100-200.

16. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

rei,

yes, a 4 pack is the appropriate license for your situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.