LibreOffice fixes vulnerability, OpenOffice remains vulnerable

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by summerheat, Feb 4, 2019.

1. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

A dangerous vulnerabilty threatens users of OpenOffice and older versions of LibreOffice.

The vulnerability was reported to the OpenOffice and LibreOffice developers in October 2018 and was fixed shortly after in the LibreOffice versions 6.0.7 and 6.1.3 published in November.

Unfortunately, OpenOffice remains vulnerable to date:
    This confirms again that OpenOffice users should switch to LibreOffice. The OpenOffice project has not been very active for years while LibreOffice has been considerably improved in many ways. That the OpenOffice developers are not able/willing to fix vulnerabilites in a timely manner makes a switch to LibreOffice all the more self-evident.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yeah, it's been a while since I used OpenOffice. It's too buggy. But in some ways, I like Gnumeric better than Calc. Calc does have more nice Excel-like features. And supports much larger documents. But Calc fails more insidiously than Gnumeric does. It can just not calculate properly, as documents get too large, and can go into infinite crash and file-repair cycles. And finally, none of them are as solid as Excel. I always have a Windows VM with Excel available. But I never let them connect to the Internet.

3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Well, I'm happy with LibreOffice but probably my needs are different from yours. On the other hand, LibreOffice gets more and more improved. Just today v. 6.2.0 has been released.

4. mirimir

Try working with a 50 MB spreadsheet ;)

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I have never worked with that big spreadsheet. Maybe you can export these data into SQL database and work with data from here?

6. mirimir

Yes, sometimes I get lazy, and do database stuff in spreadsheets. Using arcane combinations of vlookup, indirect, etc.

But mostly I end up with humongous spreadsheets in doing i/o for databases. Say I'm starting with a ton of poorly structured text, or logs, or whatever. So I massage it with Linux shell utilities. And then maybe in UltraEdit. But sometimes, a spreadsheet is just the right tool for the final massaging.

Similarly, after I've fscked with GB of stuff in MySQL, I may end up with 20-100 MB output that needs massaging. And maybe charting.

And yeah, I ought to learn R and Python stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.