LibreOffice and Ubuntu 11.04 menubars

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Has anyone installed "lo-menubar" for LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Ubuntu 11.10 running in Unity 3D mode? It's available from the Ubuntu Software Center.

This extension replaces LibreOffice's default File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, Data, Window, Help menu present within each document's window with a "Global" menu that appears on hovering near the top left of the screen. Note that I had to start and exit LibreOffice once before the global menu appears.

I have installed it twice and removed it twice.

The first time I uninstalled it was because it omitted Window from the menu, something that I totally need and access by the keyboard or mouse.

Today, I gave it another try but it still lacks the "Window" entry in the global menu.

The other thing I noticed and I would like to know if it's the same for other folks, is that having the global menu seemed to turn off all keyboard alternatives. For example, I couldn't use Alt+F to dropdown the File menu. I had to use the mouse. Can anyone confirm this?

BTW, there's a bug over here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/unity/ bug/842566 but it seems to be all over the place and doesn't include what I've seen (on a quick glance).

Another thing that appears odd is that although lo-menubar appears in the Extension Manager panel but can't be uninstalled from there.

(I had posted about my first experience with lo-menubar at the closest thing to an official forum but the thread rapidly turned into a free-for-all on Unity.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.