Libre office or Wps office free 2016

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JohnnyStecchino, Aug 27, 2016.

1. JohnnyStecchino

JohnnyStecchino Registered Member

Hi, I must install on my notebook with windows 10 pro a office suite.
    What you recommended between LibreOffice and free WPS Office 2016?

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

There's also Apache OpenOffice. LibreOffice runs across all platforms and you'll want the stable version, unless you require the latest features.

3. anon

anon Registered Member

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I actually would recommend LibreOffice Fresh over Stable. Not because of the latest new features, but because of the improved compatibility with modern Microsoft Office files. I haven't encountered stability problems with the Fresh version.

5. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Wps definitely.Much better MSO clone

6. korben

korben Registered Member

Wps. You need to block the redundant activity via FW, but this is worth the minimal hassle. Or/ and use EMET.

7. JohnnyStecchino

JohnnyStecchino Registered Member

Thank you all.
    If I decide to libreoffice, Is it good the portable version or the installed version is better?

8. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

WPS Office 2016 because it is closest to Microsoft Office. ;)

9. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Closest to Microsoft may not be necessarily a good thing. :p

I've actually been using Open Office for years. However I've observed issues, some been eventually corrected with that latest update. I'm however still experiencing a long standing issue, when copying something from outside of the writer, then pasting it into the writer. Freqentually it'll actually paste what had been pasted previously, totally ignoring what is presently in the clipboard memory.

When this issue occurs, exiting out of OpenOffice, still leaves running process. I have to use Task Manager to terminate the OpenOffice writer process.

Today, I've finally decided to also install LibreOffice. There's a 64-bit version unlike OpenOffice. They share so much in common, hopefully they don't share that nasty pasting issue. Also notice LibreOffice seems very much active in the development department unlike OpenOffice. You may only see OpenOffice update every three years if lucky.

It uses 10.5 MB extra in the memory, however that may be due to 32bit vs 64bit. However it feels much snappier than OpenOffice.

I also don't like splash screens, so I added to the shortcut target field, at the end, -nologo parameter.

10. anon

anon Registered Member

11. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I use the portable version in W7, works nice. Never had any kind of issue. I recommend it.

Bo

12. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm thinking about giving WPS another chance. Libre feels too heavy for my taste.

13. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

It IS here :)
    WPS used to be Kingsoft Office.
    I can comment on Kingsoft 2013 version running on Windows 7:
    - excellent for Excel homemade macros and excellent for user defined functions (I tried LibreOffice once long ago and had troubles with the VBA jobs)
    - excellent for everything I do in Word equivalent (no macros here)
    - excellent for looking at Powerpoint stuff.
    - excellent for old documents such as from Office 97, 2000, 2003. Just no issues here. Nor with the recent stuff.
    - BAD: must be severely tamed because everytime it runs it schedules call home tasks even if you've disabled them. It wants to run wpsupdate.exe, wpsnotify.exe and updateself.exe. I block them all.
    I also block any internet attempts by the three applications: et.exe, wps.exe and wpp.exe since I have no reason to go out.
    - BAD: has a nasty habit to ask if you want to "share on facebook" just as you close a document. WHYo_O?? There is no "NO" on the popup, but "Later" functions as "No". That gem came in when for the shortest of times I had firewall inactive and ran spreadsheet.

I don't know how a more recent WPS version behaves. Suspect that all those six tasks and internet attempts continue or got worse.

Edit: I did forget to mention that VBA is only in the Pro (paid) version. SORRY :(

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Question A: What are you trying to achieve?
    Question B: Do you require 100% MS Office compatibility?
    Mrk

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'd love to try some of these alternate office programs, but they all fall down at Outlook. And unfortunately for me there are no alternatives there.

16. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

The closest I found to outlook was emclient if you need it for exchange. What do you feel is missing if you are using imap ?

As much as I like libre office, I had run into problems when opening newer MS office files. Libre recently wrecked one of my powerpoint presentations for example. Also had problems with excel macros and some formulas. WPS seems to provide better compatibility and is noticeably quicker than libre per my experience.

17. NormanF

Main problem is file formatting/conversion isn't exactly equivalent because Microsoft Office uses a proprietary standard.

If you must do work where Microsoft Office is critical, use it! The free office suite though is more than sufficient for day to day work.

18. Peter2150

I have two issues that sort of tie to Outlook.

1. I have MS Mappoint which I use specifically for this purpose. I can go into Outlook, click on 3 or 4 clients and it maps them for me. I can also do routing analysis. This is critical for me.

2. I use Quickbooks for invoicing. There are two ways to email invoices and statements. 1) use a quickbooks feature at $10 per month. 2) Quickbooks interfaces and send emails thru Outlook Free.

19. NormanF

Outlook and Quicken illustrate the lack of an open source equivalent in the free open office suite world.

For some things, Windows products are unquestionably superior and people pay to use them.

There's no getting around it.

20. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

I unfortunately have no alternative suggestions for your needs.

P.S. Didn't Mappoint get discontinued ?

21. Peter2150

It might have, but the version I have works with Win 7 so for the the current future I am good to go.

22. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

WPS here as it is compatible with MS Office. I was actually wondering if anybody has the paid version of WPS and whether it is worth having compared to the free version ($49.99 is a great price for a lifetime license).

23. Oximoronman

Dream Mail is similar to Outlook.Wps also has email client wps mail,but based on Thunderbird.

24. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Microsoft Office has been the Industry Standard
    everything else is compared with. ;)

25. Oximoronman

Only not for web browsers.Firefox (Netscape in past) were standards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.