Libre Office 3.4 for Natty

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Question: what if I haven't added the ppa you mentioned? I should not be offered the update, IMO. I'll check anyway. But, as you say, it's maybe quite pointless since we'll get it as part of 11.10.

3. linuxforall

The updated version is in the ppa Vasa, Ubuntu did have a recent update for Libre Office but that was a minor security one and version still remains 3.3

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Correct. I got that one ~70 MB the other day.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't have the LibO ppa in my (other) software sources and so don't expect to be offered the update to 3.4 as long as I'm on Natty. When I move up to 11.10, I'll get 3.4 as part of the distro upgrade.

Attached Files:

5. linuxforall

Yep for the update you need the ppa I listed in my OP, I am running it and so far no issues except slow start with files created by LO 3.3

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I find that hard to understand. BTW, which files? Calc, Writer?

7. linuxforall

Writer and Impress, but LO 3.4 starts up faster and opens files it creates faster than its predecessor.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I use Calc most of the time.

Once you've saved a 3.3 file using LibO 3.4, do you still have any lag in reopening?

I'm sure you know this but there's ODF 1.1, 1.2, etc and 1.2 (extended) is recommended in 3.3. I will soon know what 3.4 has if all goes well :D

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Forgot to ask this:
    are you using the "Global Menu" extension?

I haven't yet tried it. The only extension I use is "Copy visible cells" (for Calc).

10. linuxforall

I still haven't figured out what the global menu extension does. Sadly Language Tool doesn't work with Open JDK, needs Sun Java.

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That's the File, Edit, View, History, Tools, Help thing that appears on hover at the top leftish of the screen in 11.04 (Unity) for several programs.

12. tlu

tlu Guest

According to the package description, "This package provides an extension which adds support for the Unity appmenu to Thunderbird|Firefox". Thus, not needed unless you're using Unity, IMHO.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think I caused a bit of confusion here:
    the extension is "lo-menubar" and it is meant "to send the menubar structure through DBusMenu."

14. linuxforall

They have two versions, one in the repos and one as extension, I installed the one in the repos, exactly what it does, I don't have the foggiet :D

I use Unity but after install of 3.4 LO, my menus disappeared with just ? in place of the icons. I just deleted and added icons from the Dash.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This link, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice, claims one can do a selective install of the LibreOffice component one wants.

Elsewhere, I got the impression that it's not worth the hassle and that one is better off going for the whole package.

16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.