LG launching its first 4K monitor in January with 31-inch ultra-widescreen panel

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/17/lg-4k-ultra-widescreen-monitors/

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Once again this illustrates how advances in hardware technologies typically have to wait for software to catch up. 64-bit computer hardware, for example, was around for years before 64-bit software (including HW drivers) became widely available.

Here we have a 4K monitor but very limited 4K content to illustrate 4K's superiority. :(

It will take a long time for these 4K ultra widescreen monitors to take off. I note the screen on that 31" LG, being 21:9, is aprox 28.35 x 12.15 inches tall. 28 wide is nice, but how close do you have to sit to a 12" tall display to received an "enjoyable" viewing experience?

You certainly cannot have it sitting across a room. :(

3. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't think the 21:9 format will ever take off, at least to where it would be the standard. For that to happen, TV would have to adopt it, and I don't think it would work well for things like sports and the news. I believe it will remain a niche for those that just have to have their screens filled when watching Cinemascope movies.

As for that monitor, I wonder if the stretching will be an issue for using it on as movie set. The cameras are still 16:9; the pixels are not square. So if you were to output pixel-by-pixel, the result would be stretched (vertically) on that monitor. If I were a director, I wonder if seeing every pixel, albeit distorted, would be better than seeing fewer pixels but in the right ratio.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes there are several 21:9 monitors on the market today, and they do seem to be more of a niche product. I don't know how it would feel using one just doing daily stuff. They are said to be good for movies anyway :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.