Level of protection offered by hardware firewall/router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Dregg Heda, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

I would like to know of the level of protection offered by a router with a hardware firewall? Whats the difference between SPI and DPI? Which is more secure?

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

This post here will give you an outline of SPI and DPI.
    http://www.zen.co.uk/Firewalls/hardware/spi-vs-dpi-firewalls.aspx

As to the question of the level of protection offered by a HW firewall,in terms of inbound protection a good quality router will offer very high security if configured properly.

3. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

So if I have a good quality router I wont have to worry about any attacks coming from the net? A software firewall will be unneccessary?

4. Mem

Mem Registered Member

If there are other computers on your network and one of them gets a worm it could attack your PC, which a basic personal firewall will help stop if you haven't kept up with all the software patches for your PC.

Also, most routers don't have outbound control like many personal firewalls but that is not critical to many.

If you are running Windows, I recommend at least the built in firewall as well as the hardware one (especially if this is a laptop that may leave the private network).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.