Lenovo vs Microsoft - mixed messages about Creators windows 1703

Discussion in 'hardware' started by act8192, Jul 30, 2017.

1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Four year old T430s Thinkpad laptop is not listed here, drivers not tested by Lenovo, may not be ok for 1703
    https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht503655

Yet on my current 1607 update screen it says, for over a week now
    "Good news! The Windows Creators Update is on its way"

Some creators privacy settings patch (KB4013214) got installed prior to that Good news.

Anything to be concerned about? Any way to find out what's going on?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Microsoft seems to have checked that your computer is compatible.

Anyway, look in the Lenovo forum for other's experiences, or ask about your system.

If everything seems Ok, create a backup Image of the system and proceed with the 1703 update.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Don't worry about what Lenovo says. I'm running Windows 10 on two ThinkPads, one of which is ten years old, and it runs fine. Neither of the models are listed on the Lenovo page.

Also Lenovo do provide drivers for your model here. Although it wouldn't matter if Lenovo did not provide Windows 10 drivers.

4. act8192

Thank you both :)

@Robin A.,
    Thanks. Yes I do have images. Wonder if I should wait or just to get it over with, use 1703 I have on usb flash. Any good advice which path to take? Perhaps on the update screen is a link to click here if you want it now or something to this effect.

@roger_m,
    That's encouraging. Win dows 10 has been fine ever since I clean installed it into a partition. And Upgrade to 1607 went ok as well, except they messed up Realtek HD sound driver, but I just copied one out of the Windows 7 partition.
    Thanks for the link to drivers. They're for T430 not T430s. But this page seems to be for me:
    http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...pad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t430s/downloads
    and they say Windows 10. Go figure. Some drivers are older than what I have. I hate drivers. I don't touch them unless something not working.

5. act8192

One more thing
    Are you saying that Microsoft provides correct drivers? Seems to be so here for the most part.
    Related question - long ago I checked some setting to not update drivers. Should I now change that?

6. roger_m

I meant to say they did list Windows 10 drivers. If your devices are working properly, there is no need to install the older drivers from Lenovo.

7. roger_m

Yes, they do, except in very rare cases. The setting to update devices won't matter too much either way. If your devices are working fine, there's often little need to update the drivers. However, on the other hand it's unlikely that driver updates would cause issues.

8. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Does your T430 model use the Intel HD graphics 4000 driver?

If you check it, Intel and MS say it is compatible with W10. They go on to say that the driver does not have to be updated for the Creators Update. In reality, it has shown to be an issue on some systems (not all). The Lenovo systems that have 1607 installed and working well (with HD4000), the upgrade to 1703 has not worked at all (they get error code 43) or it does not work properly. The graphics performance is anywhere from slightly to severely impacted. I would expect that Lenovo has tested the T430 systems with 1703 and decided not to add it to their list of compatible systems due to mixed results.

You will probably boot just fine. I'd say it is worth a try. If the video rending is poor, it is up to you whether to put up with it or not.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

HP - none of the Beats Audio features work on Windows 10.
    Sony - one of the updates for Windows 10 completely broke the audio on some Vaio laptops. The only way out now is to rollback to Windows 8.1.

Any laptop with a Broadcom BCM43142 Wi-Fi adapter will not work optimally and drop signals or outright refuse to connect after the Creator's Update of Windows 10. Whereas the same chips work just fine with Windows 8.1 and pre-Creator's update.

All the above computers were "checked and certified" by MS for Creator's Update.

10. roger_m

@Firecat There will be issues with some older computers running Windows 10. But, I have installed it a number of different laptops (more than likely, none have them have been certified for Windows 10) with no issues.

I had issues on a few laptops. A ThinkPad booted up to a black screen, and I had to change the video settings in the BIOS to fix it. On an MSI laptop, it also boots to a black screen when it should be showing the login screen, as it sending video to the VGA port, even though there is no external monitor connected. Pressing the power button to put the laptop to sleep, and then pressing it again to wake it, fixed the issue. But, it has to be done every time Windows is started. In this case, apparently the issue also affected Windows 8. There are several posts from unhappy users about it on MSI's forum, as the laptop was released just before Windows 8 was released, but MSI chose not to release an updated BIOS to work with Windows 8.

Some laptops with an Intel wifi card, has major audio latency issues, which could only be fixed by replacing the wifi card.

11. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Same. Win 10 Pro x64 v1703 15063.540 running fine on an ancient T400 here.

12. act8192

You're right in this advice and your experience with ancient ThinkPads.
    Update ran fine about a week ago using the Upgrade assistant path. Video, audio, mouse, touchpad, dual boot, power, sleep, even my security programs - all fine. The only thing I lost was a driver for a recent HP printer. I got it back from my drivers backup.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  13. act8192

It's 430s, not 430. Has NVIDIA NVS5200M and Intel HD Graphics 4000. I see no issues before or after upgrade to 1703.
    Booting is fine also. All they did is switch default boot from my black menu for Windows 7 to slower blue selection Windows 10 default. No big deal, I'll switch it back.

14. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

So how old are these models exactly? I am testing a T470p at work and let's just see it is not running all that great. Had an issue with it right out of the box. Had to send it to Lenovo to get a new mobo/cpu dropped in. Not impressed at all.

15. act8192

My 430s I think is from 2012. I got it in 2013 -September I think. Had Windows 7 pro on it.

16. Trooper

Gotcha. The T470p is a fairly new model and I have had issues with it as well. Like I said, not too happy with it overall. Looking to test other vendors hardware. My main issue is with all the new port replicators being software/usb-c/thunderbolt based. Main issue is detecting single and especially dual monitors. Had a really bad experience with an HP last year that the president of my company has. Fun times. I wish more companies made hardware based docking stations to avoid all that nonsense.

17. act8192

18. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I have a T60 and a T500 Thinkpad running dual boot with various systems installed. I did the W10 route to see if it would work and to get the digital licenses before the free offer expired. I can imagine that eventually MS will "fix" W10 so it will no longer run on the older ThinkPads. 1703 may just be that version to break the current compatibility.

19. Trooper

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

There is a catch. Windows will not offer you an upgrade, unless drivers for your hardware are released.
    But if you are running an unsupported version, you will be offered an upgrade anyway, for security reasons.
    Then again, Microsoft provides compatible drivers, but they might not be actually working, just showing OK status.
    Like MS has released Creative drivers for CU, they install just fine, but many people reported no sound, me included.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.