Lenovo ThinkPad Notebooks.....

Discussion in 'hardware' started by SweX, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello Wilders :)

I am looking at one particular notebook from Lenovo, it's a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15. But I have no knowledge about Lenovo and their products, so perhaps some of you could share your experience with Lenovo?

Also, as we all know some vendors come with more pre-installed software than others like Antiviruses, MS Office trials etc etc..... so I wonder how Lenovo is doing in this area? (I ask because I personally have nothing against using the "recovery software" that might come with it unless it includes all sorts of unwanted stuff...)

I skip posting about the price tag because of the different currency and that it would look some what more expensive in U.S. $$$ :D

It's a low-end notebook so the specs isn't really mind blowing but incase some one wants to see, this is the one: http://www.inet.se/produkt/1970214/lenovo-edge-15
    (It's in Swedish but I think you can read the specs anyway ;))

Cheers, SweX

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I think quality, specs & price should be at least 95% of the factors influencing a computer buy. Software, bloatware, trialware shouldn't matter. Just install or uninstall whatever.

As far as Lenovo Thinkpads quality, can't say. The IBM Thinkpads are rock solid. Bought, used/owned & sold over a dozen IBM Thinkpads.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes I agree, but it's still good know how much pre-installed stuff they push in.
    BUT as for the pre-installed stuff I think it might actually be a minor issue since this is classified as a "business class" notebook wich tend to come with less pre-installed software than the consumer ones.

But IBM doesn't make and sell NEW ThinkPads anymore right? And Lenovo bought the ThinkPad brand from IBM afaik.

I know what you are saying that the ThinkPad quality was superb when they was developed by IBM, but you are unsure now when Lenovo is the brand owner and manufacturer, yes.

From what I have read so far the quality seem to be just fine, but since I have nothing to compare against I can't say anything myself.

Thanks for the comment :)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Btw the laptop you linked to is the older 1st generation i3. In the US it's quite easy to get the 2nd generation.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I noticed that last week, too bad :(. But I guess that might be one reason why they have set the price this low :doubt:

I said I wouldn't mention the price but OK here we go. Translated into U.S. dollars it costs 375$ high or low idk :D

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm told with VAT & other taxes laptops/electronics in the UK cost twice what they do in USA. In USA I think $300 would be a fair price. So I think you did alright.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Lenovo ThinkPads are among the best notebooks you can buy. Personally I own two, both of which I purchased second hand this year. The build quality is very good, and they are very reliable computers. Also Lenovo offers much better support than the majority of brands. Examples of this are providing updated drivers and software for old models - e.g. I was looking at a 10 year old ThinkPad the other day, and I went to the support page at lenovo.com, and they still are providing driver updates for it, and even have Windows 7 drivers and software for it, whivh is impressive considering the model was released years before Windows 7 was released.

Having not purchased a new one, I can't tell you how much potentially unwanted software comes factory installed. However you could use PC Decrapifier http://pcdecrapifier.com to remove any unwanted software. I've never used it myself but have heard good things about it.

There will be a fair bit of Lenovo software installed, but personally I find this software useful, e.g. driver update software and decent power management software.

There has been some discussion online about a drop in quality since Lenovo took over, but I don't think that is the case.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks roger_m. :)

That's really good to know. :thumb:
    And yeah, I personally don't think that the quality have changed that much either, if at all. :thumb:

BTW I found this interesting info on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad#Manufacturing

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Lenovo Thinkpads IMHO are among the best quality made as far as being solid as a rock,externally anyways.check out the New Ultrabook X1 Carbon Fiber,it's sweet.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Thanks Dark(Dave)Shadow. :)

Yes the new Carbon Fiber model that was released just a few days ago looks really fantastic indeed! :cool: But unfortunately it's a little bit over the budget that I am willing to spend on a ThinkPad at the moment.

11. Dark Shadow

Over my budget as well.

12. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

I own thinkpad x120e. I got it for $297 from outlet sale. It was brand new. I've owned 5 thinkpads and this one has the highest build quality.

13. Dark Shadow

Yes even some lower priced Thinkpads are rock solid in comparison to higher priced other brands,but every brand has models that are very good and some not so good.I dont like to order computers online unless it has glowing customer reviews that are not fake.I like hands on to judge for my self what I am getting.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I was tempted to get a ThinkPad and get rid of my fragile Acer . . . :rolleyes:
    Still haven't found a buyer for my laptop . . . Hahahaha

15. mattbiernat

The funny thing is that, this $297 notebook is more solid than my previous $1200 thinkpad x300.
    And one more suggestion for the OP, get your thinkpad from lenovo outlets, you will usually pay a lot less and still get a new product. I highly recommend lenovo thinkpad brand instead of just lenovo brand.

16. Lenovo Thinkpad's are good, their Ideapad's are shocking though I own one and I' haven't had the greatest experience with support.

Check online for discount's as you can get 25% off list price, check notebookreview.com and ask around for any discount's. If you buy direct from the Lenovo website that's where you will save a lot of $$$

So Thinkpad's are good, other Lenovo lines are pretty bad.

17. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That's interesting!

That's also interesting, though I have no idea about what a Lenovo outlet is or where to find one? :) Thanks.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it's the ThinkPad series that I am interested.

Yes I have visited the Lenovo.com shop and it's really great since you can choose just about everything that you want.
    You can choose not to get a pre-installed AV, pre-installed office etc...
    So it's absolutely a big plus that one can customize it that much!

The thing is that the price on the Lenovo.com website is showing U.S. dollars $$$. But I will see if I can find a way to make it show Swedish SEK (Krona) instead :doubt:

21. Your from Sweeden? If they won't ship to SWE I can recommend shipito.com as re-shippers.

22. Dark Shadow

Yes I know sometimes we don't get what we pay for in electronics,sometimes the less expensive prevails.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

BTW is this the "Lenovo outlet" that mattbiernat mentioned before? :doubt:

http://outlet.lenovo.com/

They surely got some nice prices :D

But the thing is that if I would buy a U.S. version of the ThinkPad, then I would get a keyboard without the ÅÄÖ letters, wich would make it quite difficult to write Swedish on it :D

24. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

I've thought about getting a ThinkPad also.
    Then I keep reading that since IBM sold out to Lenovo that the customer service support and some of the products are abysmal.

That's great to know they actually still update Win7 drivers, etc.for olders models though.

But I am still thinking ... :doubt: :D

Not trying to burst your bubble, Swex, but better to be informed than not?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/LENOVO-CUSTOMER-SERVICE/td-p/7289

Let us know how it all works out.

Good Luck!

25. mattbiernat

I 100% agree with you. Their customer services is one of the worst. However the computers are rock solid. For example I just dropped my thinkpad 4 feet. No dent, no scratch and looks like new. Has it been a macbook it would have been another story.

Also, you don't want to forget one thing. Apple products are impossible to fix. Their macbooks have soldered SSDs to their motherboards!!! Thinkpads on the other hand, you pop one screw and you change the hard drive.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.