Lenovo boot options?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by MikeBCda, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Last December my old system died and I replaced it with a new Lenovo system, as noted in my sig. Probably its biggest advantage over the old one, aside from graduation from XP to 7 and increased speed from the dual-core CPU and 64-bit operation, is that it uses an external power supply and therefore has a much smaller casing (around 2 x 6 x 8 inches) plus less problem with heat.

The only problem is that it displays the Lenovo logo rather than the standard POST screen when starting up, and came with virtually no literature other than standard safety warnings.

Can someone who uses a Lenovo, or at least is familiar with it, please tell me how to access (a) BIOS settings and (b) boot options, such as safe mode? I'd probably have little or no use for the former other than resetting boot-source priorities in case I ever have to boot from a rescue "disk" on my flash drive. Neither Del nor Esc works for either purpose. Many thanks in advance.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I go through F2, F12, F8, & F5 in that order. If not one of those I try the other F keys.

More times than not ime it's F2, F12, F8, F5, Esc or Delete.

And sometimes I'm just not tapping the key at the right time.

Years ago I'd have to tap the proper key numerous times in a row during bootup to succeed. Systems made after ~2006 I just have to tap once.

3. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Bios settings, selecting boot device should be on F12, safe mode, repair, and bunch of others by F8.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, all. I should have gotten back here sooner, since my son discovered right after I'd posted that F1, oddly enough, gives entry to the BIOS setup. I'll take a look at F8 for boot mode in the morning, since IIRC that's by far the most commonly used key for that on most systems.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.