Length of backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimwal, Jun 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimwal

jimwal Registered Member

I have TI Home ver. 9.0 - build 3633. I recently made my first "backup" of my entire C drive to my new Seagate 300 gb external drive using the USB connection. The partition on both drives is NTFS. My PC is a generic Pentium 4, 2.80 ghz with one gb of RAM. I made a full backup which was about 84 GB. TI reported the backup was successfull. It took about 25 hours. Is this time frame normal given the hardware and size of the backup?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The time should have been (very) roughly an hour to do the backup and about the same to do a validate if you requested it.

Did you do it in Windows or with the boot CD version?

Given that you have a 2.8Ghz P4, I would assume you have USB2.

You can try plugging the drive into a rear USB port rather than a front one (more likely a longer internal cable to the front USB ports that COULD cause a problem).

If you did the backup in Windows have a look in the Event Logger System log file to see if any errors or anything unusual reported.

Have you tried backing up say your C drive to another partition on an internal drive and timing it? This should be done at a speed of roughly 1GB of normally compressed backup file/minute.

3. jimwal

jimwal Registered Member

Based on your reply I performed a validation of my backup. It took one hour and seven minutes. It indicated "operation successful". Unless told otherwise I will assume it means my backup is OK.

I do not understand your question - " Did you do it in Windows or with the boot CD version? I did not exit Windows to perform the backup using the TI program.

I believe I have USB2 since "Device Manager" shows an enhanced USB2 host controller. However I am not certain which port(s) are USB2.

I have no USB ports on the front of my PC. All six are in the rear.

I looked first on the Acronis Log of the backup. There was one warning. It came less than one minute after the backup started. It indicated " Module 100 - Error Code 11(0x64000b) - Priority changed to Low Priority". I do not understand what that means.

I looked in the Windows System Event Log. I did not see anything referencing the backup operation specifically, however there were references to Event ID 51 - errors on device during a paging operation.

I have not tried backing up my C drive to another partition since I have no other partition on my internal drive.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is as good an indication that you can get from TI that it is OK

If you stayed in Windows you did the backup in Windows. You can bootup the recovery CD and do your create and validate from it. It is a Linux environment but you do not need to know anything about Linux. You can give it a try and see if it makes any difference. Normally, it is a bit slower than Windows.

Normally all the ports are set to either USB 1 or 2. Check your BIOS settings to ensure that USB2 mode, I think it also may be referred to as "high-speed mode", is enabled. This may not be available in all BIOSes but I came across it on a fairly new MB. USB2 is 40 times faster than USB 1.

TI can run in High, Normal or Low priority. THe higher the priority the more resources TI takes. The only time somebody might notice this is if they keep working while the backup is being done and TI is running in high priority. The priority change message is not really an error and would be better described as a "status" notification.

I had a number of those error messages once but they were listed after a problem with my SATA drive cable (parity) was reported. When I fixed that, the ID 51 errors went away. I seem to recall that I couldn't really determine if the 51 errors were to be considered a real problem or not. Were there any errors reported with the USB device when you started the PC or plugged in the USB drive?

You can backup C to C in Windows if the free space is big enough. You apparently will get a warning but just ignore it. However, you cannot restore C from an image stored on C.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimwal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3666.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

If the problem persists with the latest build (3666) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please check each partition of both source (internal) and target (external) hard drives by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging, create an image of your system drive once more and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists after checking the hard drives and updating the drivers then please check if your external USB hard drive is connected to the computer through a HUB. If yes then try connecting it directly and see the result.

If that does not help then please also try connecting your external USB hard drive through another USB port(s).

If that does not help either then please do the following:

- Download and unpack the Device Tree application;

- Run the application;

- Completely unfold the \Driver\Disk and \Driver\FtDisk branches;

- Move the margin to the left in order to see all the items;

- Make a screen shot.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Windows System Information.

- Let us know the exact size of the actual data contained on the backed up disk\partition;

- Let us know the exact size of the result image archive;

- How much time did it take exactly to create this particular image archive?

- Reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello jimwal,

Unless you habitually use a number of other applications whilst creating an image, I recommend that you set the default backup and restore priorities to "Normal" ("Tools" > "Options" > "Default backup options" > "Backup priority" and "Default restoration options" > "Restoration Priority" respectively).

Regards

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Why has Acronis not explained this message here?
    Acronis knows why such messages are issued, afterall TI issued the message.

Indeed, is there a listing of TI messages somewhere?
    The phrase "error code" is not even in the user's guide.

8. Howard Kaikow

Are you doung an image backup or a file backup?
    If a file backup, then 25 hours is likely a good time.

How badly fragmented is the destination drive?

9. Menorcaman

Does this previous thread titled <'Priority changed to low'> help you any?

Regards

10. Howard Kaikow

No.

Acronis needs to tell us WHY there is a NEED To issue such a message.
    If as a result of a normal action, do not confuse us with needless messages.
    Such messages should be be produced only when there is an exceptional event.

11. Menorcaman

Hmm, why am I not surprised :cautious:.

12. jimwal

jimwal Registered Member

I am sorry I took so long to reply. By the time I downloaded and installed TI 9.0 the build was 3677. I did the installation per your instructions. A full backup image of my 85 GB drive took one hour and thirty minutes. The verify operation took one hour and seventeen minutes. I don't know what happened before, but TI appears to be working properly now. The log entries showed no problems. I think that T.I. could be more positive when confirming the verify operation. The statement "Operation has succeeded" is not reassuring. As a novice with this program I pose the following question just for clarity. When I do a full image backup does this mean that the OS and every file and folder containing data has been backed up? In closing thank you and the others on this Forum for all the assistance offered. It is greatly appreciated.

13. Bill U

Bill U Registered Member

When you create a full image backup of your C drive (partition), it saves every file needed to restore the operating system and run all the programs installed at the time the image was done as well as anything else stored on that partition. Functionally it's like having an exact image of the C drive at that time. In reality it does not include the pagefile or hibernation file. It ignores these to save space since these files are recreated at startup.

14. Howard Kaikow

You can verify if anything was not backed up by using the following programs:
    http://www.standards.com/index.html?CompareDrives
    http://www.standards.com/index.html?GetFileTypeDistribution

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.