Learning ShadowProtect Questions

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by twl845, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am reading the PDF ShadowProtect users manual in preparation for installing the trial copy later on. I am not familiar with certain terminology so I would appreciate help as I progress. Can someone tell me what Mount and Dismount mean in relation to images, and what does cold metal recovery mean? Thanks :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Mount is the process of making the image accessible to explorer as a drive so you can explore the image. Dismount does the obvious.

Cold(Bare) metal recovery, means you put a brand new drive in your machine, and can restore the image and be back in business.

Feel free to ask away.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Image files are archive type files. They contain compressed versions of the files that have been placed inside them.

When you mount an image, you are creating a "virtual" drive that allows you to look at, copy from, etc. the files inside, the same as you would a normal drive. Mounted images make use of RAM memory, and may make temporary use of the hard drive (I believe that most do not do this.)

When you are finished using the virtual drive (the mounted image), it's always best to unmount it. This puts things back to normal, both for RAM memory and temporary hard drive usage. And the image you had been making use of is put back into it's normal state.

Cold metal recovery... Think in terms of having an existing PC that you previously used ShadowProtect on and have a good image stored away somewhere. Then one day, you go to boot up and learn that the hard drive is dead/locked up/unusable. By using the ShadowProtect boot CD and your previously created image, you can completely restore your original setup onto a new hard drive. IOW, you can go from a dead (cold) PC, to a normal, same as it was before it died PC, in just a few minutes.

**EDIT** Sorry Peter. I'm running sloooowwww... :)

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks guys! Pete I know you've been using SP for a few months at least, so How do you like it? Better than Acronis? Is it working well with FD-ISR?
    Would it be confusing to an intermediate user? I'm on page 36 of the manual, and am just getting in to the interesting stuff.:)

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I like it alot! My previous imaging program of choice was Image for DOS. And while it was nice and I never had any problems with it, SP runs a good deal faster and is much simpler to use.

Version 2 of SP only supports hard drive storage for images but the soon to arrive version 3 will apparently bring DVD/CD burning support. So pretty much everyone will have a way to image with SP.

I haven't tried TI since version 8 but IMO, SP is easier to get the hang of. One nice thing about SP is that I never needed to install it (and still haven't.) I run it all from the boot CD you create from the download.

I don't use FD-ISR so I can't help with that...

6. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

The term "cold metal recovery" is probably a typo (or perhaps you didn't quote it accurately). The term that is actually used is "bare metal recovery/restore". Bare metal recovery is the capability to restore a system to operational state when that system has no software (including no operating system) installed on it. All it has is blank/bare hardware (bare metal).

The word "cold" is sometimes used to refer to disks/volumes which are not in active use. For this reason, if you boot a special CD operating system and perform your backup from the booted CD environment, the disks and volumes on your system are not in use (not in use by an operating system or by any applications) and hence you are backing them up in a "cold" state. The opposite, "hot," refers to the state of a disk or volume that is actively in use. Therefore, if you read something that claims it is capable of hot backup then this means it can backup your data while that data is in active use.

7. Peter2150

I love it. It is really fairly easy. The only place it might be a trifle confusing, is when you do a restore, and select the destination, you can just check the box, and it restores the partition, or you can right click on the bar representing the drive and select delete volume. (There is no "are you sure") That leaves the drive unallocated and unformatted. You then have to again right click that bar, and it allows you to create an exact partition from the image. Once you do that you tick the box, and continue on. Not as complicated as it sounds. You just have to use a bit of care(I once deleted the volume of my external drive by accident - Acronis Disk Director to the rescue)

I've beat on Shadow Protect beta testing the IT edition, and it is rock solid. The desktop and IT edition images are interchangeable which is nice.

I've done so many restores on these machines I've lost track. Don't even give it any thought now.

Pete

PS I've never actually read the manual:D

8. Peter2150

Heck, two answers are good. Gives a different point of view.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Han, Thanks for the heads up. I never learned DOS so I try to avoid it. You mention ver.3 coming out soon. Any idea how soon? The SP forum won't say. Now I see why Erik over on the FD forum is waiting for ver.3 before he gets it.

10. Peter2150

I missed the FDISR part of your question. The answer is yes. Early on there was a conflict with the Desktop Version 2.0 and FDISR IF you ran it VSS. There was no problem with RSS. Raxco/Leapfrog found the issue and the new release has the fix.

Pete

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Peter2150, Great. I'm glad to see they're compatible. I'd like to be ready to install when version 3 is ready. I can't get an estimated upgrade date other than soon. Are there enough people using SP to have its own forum? That would be nice. Thanks for the info.:D

12. Peter2150

There is indeed a forum on the storagecraft site. But we are fortunate in that grnxnm monitors this forum, so we do have an informal rep here.

13. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

And, we're lucky to have you here. You are so patient with questions regarding ShadowProtect. Always helpful.

14. Peter2150

Thanks Genady.

It's hard not to be enthusastic about a product that really performs. ShadowProtect and FDISR are two top notch programs, and it's fun to work with them and help others learn them.

Pete

15. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Pete,

I just tuned in...

Are you saying that SP is now compatible w/ FD-ISR (in VSS mode) & nVidia Raid 0??

Ifso, I'd like to give it another shot. This time I'll trial it on my NAS box rather than one of my main machines.

...screamer

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Screamer - Yes it is compatable with VSS. I can't speak for nvidia raid though. An e-mail to FD's great support will get you an answer promptly. I'm not experiencing any problems.

17. Peter2150

The VSS incompatibility was an FDISR problem, and yes it is fixed. On the nvidia raid 0 issue yes it is fixed, but only for version 3. The IT edition of 3.0 is released, but the Desktop of course isn't. What you could do is request a trial of the IT Edition and that would confirm whether it works.

Note if you do this, the recovery CD will have two versions. "Recommended" and "Legacy" You will need to use Legacy. Legacy is the WinPe version and it is fine, but slower. The Recommended will be dicey with the Nvidia Raid 0 drivers, as it uses VistaPE, and Microsoft in their infinite wisdom put the wrong nvidia drivers in the build. Just a heads up if you try the trial.

Let me know how it goes.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.