Learning about what to use

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by kane_robson, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kane_robson

kane_robson Registered Member

New User-trying to test post-what will happen?

I am a new user(as of July 5,2005).I am testing a post.I want to learn about anti-virus,worm.trojan etc.protection that I can obtain for free or free test.I am a rank amatuer to this--only have been using PC for 1 year-never trained-all self-taught by trial and error--a big waste of time.I need help.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: New User-trying to test post-what will happen?

Welcome to Wilders kane_robson.

I will shift your post in to a more appropriate forum shortly where you should receive a better response.

In the mean time you may want to take a look here. As well there are discussions on security software here and even more here.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

3. kane_robson

I have downloaded ie-spy-ad exe.-----I have unzipped it . 13 files were unzipped successfully.What do I do next? I should tell you that I have Windows XP sp2.I use mozilla firefox to browse,but internet explorer is still in computer and sometimes I get pop-ups etc. from it.Am I following the right path? Am i done or is there a next step with ie-spy ad exe.? Thank you for the help.

4. Blackspear

Hi Kane, navigate to where IE SpyAd was extracted to, typically straight into your "C" Drive and within a folder called IE SpyAd, then press number "2" on your keyboard and follow the prompts.

Attached Files:

5. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

You should probably see a file like ie-ads.reg (or something like that ending with reg). Click on it, windows will ask if you want to import the information into the registry. Press yes.

That's all. The next time you open Internet Explorer, a list of bad sites should be in your restricted zone.

6. kane_robson

Thank you blackspear.I followed your instructions.IE spyad was installed successfully.Thank you james taylor.I followed blackspear directions and they worked,then I saw your post but I think I have finished the task so I do not need to follow your instructions.Is that correct?

7. James Taylor

James Taylor Guest

BlackSpear's instructions uses the bat file to accomplish indirectly, what I asked you to do.

So yes, you are done for this . What next are you going to try?

8. Blackspear

Correct.

What security do you currently use?

9. kane_robson

Thanks for being so prompt in your replies.I am surprised and pleased. I use spybot search and destroy,Ad-aware,AVG-freeand spyware blaster(?).Thanks james taylor,too.

10. kane_robson

Blackspear; Have my posts been moved to a new forum? what is the name?I have to go to doctor's appointment now but I want to be able to return to my posts and replies later when I sign back on.Thanks.

11. Blackspear

I have only moved your thread from the Test Forum to this Forum (Other Security Issues) and renamed your thread from Testing to the title that you now see (Learning about what to use).

12. kane_robson

Thanks blackspear.Do I need more protection?By the way,do you work for Wilders or an anti-virus co. or are you simply a good internet citizen who decided to help me? Whichever, I thank you very much and ask for any suggestions regarding additional proyection measures that I should consider.
    Best regards.
    kane_robson

13. Blackspear

My pleasure.

It depends upon how much you like security. I look at it this way, I like a car with locks, central locking, ABS Brakes, Windows, Lights, Airbags, Tyres with incredible grip, Power Steering, Forward sensing Radar, Rear sensing Radar, Night Vision, Alarm System... However I also have to stay within my budget and afford some of these features as and when my budget allows. So to answer your question is a little tricky, it can also depend vastly on your surfing habits, in the first link that I provided you will see 3 setups that I consider to be Minimum, Medium and Tight Security, as well as other setups, this will give you a guide in which direction to head.

I am a volunteer staff member of Wilders, I am also a Nod32 Reseller in Australia (as well as other products found here at Wilders), and I a bit of the last ;) :D

Your thanks are always appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  14. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Hi

You mentioned that you were 'getting popups from IE'...but it didn't sound like you were using IE.

It 'sounds' like you have spyware on your computer, although that isn't certain from your post. Just incase, there are 3 good free anti-spyware programs you can download, and run scans with (for peace of mind)

Spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware SE http://www.lavasoft.com/
    Microsoft Antispyware : http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

MSAS is probably the best of those (it's also the only of those those 3 free versions that has realtime protection - wont conflict with your AV). But just know that even the very best paid anti-spywares (MS is up there with the best) only detect somewhere between 65-75% of spyware...so 2-3 different AS's are recommended <also, AV's aren't very good at all at detecting spyware>

In terms of other free security, A few things I could suggest. Visit this page http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/main-nf.htm - it has instructions on how to more securely configure both IE and Firefox, halfway down the left hand column. Also lists plenty of free, and paid, security tools.

Install a Hosts file http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm . The page explains what a hosts file is, and also how to switch off the DNS Client if you install a hosts file (you'll want to do the latter if you do the former).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.