Leapfrog Software Changes

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-Rescue Forum' started by Leapfrog Software, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

We gave it our best shot, but the entire Leapfrog Software team has come to the sad conclusion that with the limited capabilities of the Rescue product, and based upon the reaction of the marketplace, it is not commercially viable to continue selling this product.

As in the past, we will continue supporting existing customers for the foreseeable future, but will not be selling the product to new customers.

Thank you all for your support.

2. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Sad news indeed.
    It must be one of the shortest lived software. :eek:

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Shortlived indeed.

I think that most folk will think the same as I...had it had the archive ability, well, who knows.

4. Tony

Tony Registered Member

It would be interesting to know what the exciting plans were for the future of FD-R when it was first released.
    Maybe if they had hung back just a little longer and had some of these features at release it may have sold a little better.

It would also be interesing to know what pandlouk had asked for?

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:'(

Acadia

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

When I saw FD-R, I thought how great it will be to use it when I buy my new computer with WIN 7 next year. By that time Leapfrog might have added some new features too. Now I feel like the guy in the movie "Ground Hog Day" who keeps waking up to the same day. First I buy FD-ISR original just in time to see it pulled from the shelf, and now it's happening again, only this time before I buy it and from the same people. Why don't you put more thought into software you decide to produce? Ask yourself, would I buy this? If you don't get excited about the prospect, don't offer it until it you come up with a true winner. As of today, I will be very skeptical about considering another Leapfrog product. :p

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Wow. I am speechless.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I will just say that this announcement is not a surprise, not one bit. Rescue = just another software!

9. ahriman

ahriman Registered Member

Todd,
    Very sorry to hear this after all of your hard work.
    Best of luck to you and the Leapfrog team in your future endeavors.

10. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

MARKETING STRATEGY

Attached Files:

• plc.gif
      plc.gif
      File size:
      4 KB
      Views:
  11. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Todd & Team Leapfrog:
    Aaarrrgghhh.
    Very,very sad to see this development.
    Good luck with future devs.

The only un/semi-answered q: Will FDISR ever resurface under your control. ??
    I know it's all been said before: have to rethink my whole back-up paradigm without FDISR.
    Truly: for those with insight a remarkable tool with a boundless future, "stolen" from under us and sadly now destined for a slow fade to obscurity that was never deserved.

Maybe whoever has the license has lost interest having buried FDISR by now ...??

( feverishly bookmarking every reference to W7 and FDISR ;) )

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thankfully, I did not purchase the workstation version :p :blink:

13. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Sorry to hear that ! Best of luck with future products.

14. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

Hi Todd,

I'm sorry to hear this. Anyway, what about the "mystery product". Will it see the light of day? Also, some months ago you have mentioned this "Along the way we have been creating more and more unique technologies, yet to be released to the public market. I think you will like how we move forward into the future. I am stoked about it." I am curious about these new technologies.

15. holymoly

holymoly Registered Member

TODD - Come on man...you released it only 60 days ago...and now giving up like this?? You blame it "on the marketplace" but can you please expound on that as I would like to know where you actually market your product(s) other than here as I HOPE you weren't expecting customers to fall out of the sky.

You are already very aware of the cult-like love of your "classic" version and its quintessential feature, so that was no big secret that people were upset about that feature/product being taken away from them. If I remember right....Rescue is even virtually identical to the product you had under Horizon Datasys, so I don't understand why this has come as a big surprise to you guys when this product has basically been in the marketplace already for quite some time.

Like the chap above....knowing the history and now this....I too will give it a long thought about purchasing from LeapFrog again in the future for the simple fear that ultimately an abandonment of the product is obviously quite feasible. First the classic...and now this. What a shame.

16. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Very well said.

17. zach

zach Registered Member

Todd What Say You

18. Empath

Empath Registered Member

At the moment, it doesn't even look like there is anything left of Leapfrog's website. o_Oo_Oo_O?

19. bitsandbobs

bitsandbobs Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up, and best of luck with any future efforts Todd.

20. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Well... I did MY part.

I bought the new product even though I never intended to use it as I have a copy of the "Classic" which has many more capabilities.

I was hoping that a little influx of cash from some of us would keep the resurrection of FD-ISR "Classic" a possibility.

But the quesion does still remain.

Is the "new" FD-ISR Rescue the dead product or is the development and introduction of a new "Classic" version dead ?

TODD !! Can you shed a little more light ?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  21. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Same here bought the new product even though I never intended to use it as I have 4 copies of the "Classic" which has many more capabilities.

22. pratzert

Ya... I just considered it a "Donation" and hoped Todd would continue the development on the "Mystery Product".

Hey.... may he still is.

That's why I asked for further clarification from Todd.

I liked the way Todd had helped everyone "behind the scenes" and would always answer any emails. So I did what I could...

23. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings All,

This was a very tough decision. Again, I appreciate the support and comments.

The choice was based on several factors including FDR's limited capabilities (legal obligations) and the reviews and reactions in the community. It was a gamble to move forward with this line of products, but I really wanted to bring back something to folks. It is clear that this product line, in its current state, will not be commercially viable through LSI.

Again, we will continue supporting existing customers for the foreseeable future, but will not be selling the product to new customers.

Thank you all for your support and for those that purchased the product, consider it a collectors item (okay, too far?) :)

For those that asked about FD-ISR, this explains it in the 5th paragraph:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267705

24. pratzert

Todd,

Well that ceertainly makes it perfectly clear. :'(

Sorry to see your efforts go to waste.

But I don't regret making the donation, I owed you a couple of Beers anyway ! :)

I hope you stick around the forum and lend your expertise as you always have in the past.

Good luck to you and all of the staff.

Best Regards.

25. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Todd:
    Who, where, how "substantial" ??
    :) :thumb:
    Ya; would be great to have an ongoing presence from you for FDISR and W7+.
    Some incentive scheme ??

I suspect PW et al will be considering options for the forum now :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.