LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Badcompany, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Is it necessary to use a screensaver with a LCD monitor,Do they burn-out if left on for hours.
    Badcompany.

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

it is not necessary to use a screen saver on modern LCD monitors. they will however get dimmer if left on for hours on end and are best put on stand by when away from your desk

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Trust Nick's advise.
    LCD monitor's CCFL backlight can be replaced (to restore brightness to original state) when the gradual but inevitable "dimming" effect is noticed, providing you have a little technical expertise and a lot of patience.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw not many places will replace the backlight for you if it goes. its genrally cheaper to buy a new screen or if under warrenty get a replacement.
    i found it out when the backlight went on my old monitor.

5. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Just turn it off when not using. :)

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Thats what I do, I turn it off frequently, LCDs don't have the warm up CRT issues so there is less impact on their life. However turning it off when not in use will certainly extend their life. Also running them as dark as possible with usually in conserve mode helps in their life. Today's LCDs are actually overtly bright and therefore even in conserve mode, one has to reduce the gamma.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

That is not true at all. Enter replace LCD backlight in Google and you get 1million hits on the topic. Backlight and inverter replacements are done all the time. However, you may have to contact a TV repair shop instead of a computer repair shop to find one near you.
    Well, that depend on many factors - not all LCDs are of the same quality, or age. It may, or may not be cheaper.

LCDs do not suffer from burn in - but they do suffer from Image Persistence.

I keep my systems on 24/7/365 - so I never turn off my monitors manually. I do have the screen saver set to "Blank" after 10 minutes of inactivity, then I have the Monitor Power settings set to turn off the monitors at 15 minutes.

8. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Perhaps, but hence my suggestion for D.I.Y.
    Replaced mine for <$40.

9. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

LCD monitors have a life span rated in hours of use. For your typical CCFL LCD it starts from 25,000 hours upwards depending on quality. Newer CCFL LCDs claim to have a life of about 50,000+ hours.

The LED LCDs are supposed to last even longer.

So taking 25,000 hours and an average use of 10 hours a day. You should expect your LCD to last you for 6.8 years. Unless of course it is defective. You should look for at least a 3 year warranty on LCDs.

I normally set my screen to turn off after 10 min of inactivity.

10. Bill_Bright

And be MUCH more efficient - great for notebook battery life. Less waste also means less heat generation - important with larger monitors and facility air conditioning costs.

11. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Agreed. The only problem is that they are quite expensive. Perhaps in a year or two the prices will be reasonable.

12. Bill_Bright

As is most cutting edge stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.