Law enforcement and IT security companies join forces to fight ransomware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Jul 25, 2016.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Help Net SecurityJuly 25, 2016

2. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

The site of No More Ransom is https://www.nomoreransom.org/

3. boredog

boredog Registered Member

FanJ

I was looking over that site earlier this morning. I got the link from pc mags article. It doesn't appear to have been around very long.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi boredog,

Indeed, it seems to be very new. It was on Monday at the TV News and in newspapers in Holland.
    I don't know whether it will be a success, but any and all attention to the general public about ransomeware is, I guess, good.
    But what I don't understand is why only Kaspersky Lab and Intel Security. You would think the more AV/AM/etc companies involved, the better. Now I know the site is telling "This initiative is open to other public and private parties". But it is still puzzling me.

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

6. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Actually it was in the Software, Hardware and General Services forum and I put it there because I figured folks not following this forum would benefit.

7. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hey bgoodman4,
    The more attention the No More Ransom project can get the better, I guess; so thanks!

=====

Hawki was so kind to post the thread Wildfire ransomware code cracked in which the No More Ransom project was mentioned.
    The Dutch site security.nl has also an article about it, in Dutch.

Related to a remark by me in reply # 4 here in this thread might be some remarks by Raj Samani, cto of Intel Security, in that security.nl article. According to that article Samani told security.nl that in the near future two more partners will be announced, and that more organizations have asked to be involved. (no names were mentioned, so lets wait).

8. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

A list of the decryption tools currently available at the No More Ransom project site can be found here:
    https://www.nomoreransom.org/decryption-tools.html
    It gives info about which ransomware can be decrypted, versions, how-to-guides, and the actual downloads.

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

It has just been recently that I became aware of several blogs about the No More Ransom project and related topics. A bit late, I know, sorry. And forgive me in case some links were already posted.

First about the advice from Europol and the No More Ransom project to not pay the ransom in case your files are locked by ransomware.

1. An article by Kevin Townsend on 4 August 2016 at SecurityWeek
    40 Percent of Companies Will Pay the Ransom
    It becomes clear that opinions differ whether or not to pay ransom.
    2. That article was commenting on an survey report by Osterman Research commissioned by Malwarebytes.
    Understanding the Depth of the Global Ransomware Problem
    3. A blog by David Harley on 22 Aug 2016 at the Eset site.
    Ransomware: To pay or not to pay?
    That blog gives also comments on the question whether or not to pay ransom.

Second, and now I come more close.

4. An article on 25 July 2016 at Infosecurity by Dan Raywood.
    Vendors, Police and Europol Begin Ransomware Fightback
    Third. [3] and [4] are guiding me to the question that has puzzled me from the beginning.

5. An article by David Harley at AVIEN, the official blog of the Anti-Virus Information Exchange Network.
    Europol says No More Ransom
    In that article is a list given with decryption tools and they are not only from Intel Security and Kaspersky. And there are more of such tools available on the internet. It looks like that I wasn't the only one who was asking why only those two companies.